RE: Adding RAINBOW FLAG to Unicode (Fwd: Representing Additional Types of Flags)

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 12:26:44 -0700

Noah Slater <nslater at tumbolia dot org> wrote:

>> In other, other words, something like "[flag]LGBT" should be a
>> non-starter.
>
> Followed until this bit. Why would it be a non-starter?

First, because under the proposal described in the PRI, it would
unequivocally stand for "region LG, subdivision BT". As it happens,
there is no region LG, so the sequence might simply be ignored as
undefined.

Second, and more generally, because it would not be part of any sort of
structured extension to the geopolitical-entity encoding mechanism. It
would provide no orderly path to encoding additional, similar flags for
other social groups or causes, including others also focusing on
sexuality. It would be strictly ad-hoc. It would rely solely on "this
combination of letters isn't in use right now, so let's snag it," which
is poor standardization, as Michael pointed out on Monday.

Using an ad-hoc "land grab" approach to registering flag tags, how would
the following flags be represented?

1. The flag of Chicago
2. The flag of the U.S. Army
3. The flag of ASEAN
4. The Olympic flag
5. The flag of UNICEF
6. The Christian flag
7. The Esperanto flag
8. The Confederate battle flag
9. The Gadsden flag ("Don't Tread On Me")
10. The Jolly Roger (pirate flag of Edward England)
11. The flag of ISIS (ISIL, AQMI, Da'esh)
12. The flag of Germany from 1933 to 1945

(Hint: all of these would have to be eligible, once the doors are
opened.)

Simply coming up with a combination of letters and digits for each of
these that happens to be unused in ISO 3166 won't do. There would have
to be something with much better structure and organization.

This is my suggestion, anyway.

> I don't know enough about how the Consortium functions to understand
> my best course of action. Looking for advisement on (a) what is most
> likely to pass UTC muster, and (b) what is most likely to result in
> rainbow flag emojis being available widely in the near future.

Other list participants and/or UTC members will have to help you here.
I'm the last one you want to ask about how to get a random emoji into
the Unicode Standard.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸