Re: Tamil-Latin proposal

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 21:08:09 +0200

Also it's cleanrly not needed to duplicate Latin letters (or Cyrillic tool)
to borrow them in them Tamil script, just in order to add Tamil vowel
diacritics on top of them.
If that proposer wnats to creatre a font allowing combinng Latin/Cyrillic
letters with Tamil vowel signs, there's no need to duplicate the encoding
of these base letters. Nothing prohibits a font to map those combinations,
evne if it's not needed for other languages using the Latin and Cyrillic
scripts: that could be done by extending an existing Tamil font (most of
them already map Basic Latin, even if none of them currently map
combinations with Tamil vowel signs).
For the usage purpose desribed, in fact a good font for Latin and IPA would
work, with just a few additions fow allowing the Tamil vowel signs. And no
need to create specific encodings for Latin+generic diacritics, evne if the
precombined letters are not encoded (why those additional "base letters"
would be restricted to Tamil?)
Given there's no user using this extended script, the Unicode policy will
require first experimenting and creating a user community, and demonstrate
that for this usage, the existing encodings cannot work reliably. But for
now there's no need for it, no compatibility issues to resolve, no
dictionaries or old books for which this encoding would be useful.
And it's definitely not a problem of chicken and egg: this is an attempt to
bypass the UCS encoding policies specifically for a script that really does
not these duplicate extra base letters and combining vowels. And it's
definitely not a new script by a proposed "new" script whose characters are
in fact badly named! There's no such "Tamil-Latin" letters, but the real
standard is about transliterations of Tamil using standard Latin letters
(romanizations), or IPA symbols, and for that there are already standards
that do not need any of these additions that would in fact add more
complications and would solve no practical problems. Let's just focus on
the Tamil romanization standards, and romanized IME for Tamil which already
work as is.