Re: Windows 10 release (is still: Re: WORD JOINER vs ZWNBSP)

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 11:46:31 -0700

Marcel Schneider <charupdate at orange dot fr> wrote:

>>> Unfortunately that doesnʼt work on at least one recent version of
>>> Windows. An unambigous bug was due to the presence of 0x2060 in the
>>> Ligatures table. This has cost me a whole workday to retrieve, fix,
>>> and verify.
>>>
>>> The effect of the bug was that Word, Excel, Firefox and Zotero were
>>> unstartable.
>>>
>>> As a result, the WORD JOINER cannot be implemented on a driver based
>>> keyboard layout for general use on Windows. By contrast, the ZWNBSP
>>> can.

and:

> The so-called ligatures, by contrast, must not be constructed with
> 0x2060. This however was the case of three items:
>
> - A justifying no-break space emulation 0x2060 0x0020 0x2060, for use
> in word processors where the NBSP is not justifying, unlike as in
> desktop publishing and high-end editing software as Philippe Verdy
> referred to, where U+00A0 is justifying. It not being in word
> processing is consistent with the need of using U+00A0 along with
> punctuations in French, and the lack of U+202F in many fonts.
>
> - A colon with such a justifying no-break space, for use in documents
> that imitate the usage of at least a part, if not mainstream, old-
> fashioned typography: 0x2060 0x0020 0x2060 0x003a.
>
> - A punctuation apostrophe emulation 0x2060 0x0027 0x2060, mapped to
> Kana + I.
>
> I'm about to test on another Windows Edition. I wonder if there is a
> real issue or not, as you are suggesting. Nevertheless I believe that
> no such bugs must occur in whatever version and edition of Windows.

I created, installed, and activated an MSKLC keyboard with the three WJ
sequences described above, mapped for convenience to AltGr+Z, AltGr+X,
and AltGr+C respectively (not the Kana key, which I don't have), and had
no trouble opening or using any applications on Windows 7, including the
four mentioned above (except Zotero, which I don't use). KLC source
available on request.

I wouldn't have wasted the 15 minutes but for the continuing, tiresome
rhetoric about Windows bugs.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸