Re: Deleting Lone Surrogates

From: Asmus Freytag (t) <asmus-inc_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 08:57:52 -0700

On 10/5/2015 7:51 AM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
> Not silently ! Even if this removal is required to go on editing, this
> must be notified to the user as it may occur in unedited parts of the
> file (and it may be the sign that the document is not fully plain
> text, so the user should not save the edited file)
> If this is caused by a quirk in the user input (defect of the input
> mode or keyboard layout), there should be a notification.

As long as we are discussing, as Richard is, recommendations for
implementers, I fully agree with Phillipe.

Manually editing surrogate corruptions might be something that could be
relegated to an "expert mode", but automatic correction without user
confirmation ("May we clean up your file?") would indeed be spooky and
dangerous.

A./