Re: Why Nothing Ever Goes Away (was: Re: Acquiring DIS 10646)

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 00:57:23 +0200

Also the aliases for C1 controls were formally registered in 1983 only for
the two ranges U+0084..U+0097 and U+009B..U+009F for ISO 6429.

So the abbreviation (and names) aliases given to:
- U+0082 (BPH =BREAK PERMITTED HERE),
- U+0083 (NBH = NO BREAK HERE),
- U+0098 (SOS=START OF STRING) and
- U+009A (SCI=SINGLE CHARACTER INTRODUCER)
are also discutable (but they may have other sources than just ISO 6429,
probably from IBM for its proprietary EBCDIC-based systems). In that case
the same sources could have given names/abbreviations to U+0080, U+0081 and
U+0099.

The problem could be that their late mapping from EBCDIC to some
ISO8859-compatible encoding was still fuzzy before some date, or was also
fuzzy within EBCDIC-based encodings themselves across their versions or in
their implementations and applications on those systems.
Anyway those aliased names and abbreviations have been published by Unicode
and should remain stable now.