Re: Unicode in passwords

From: Julian Bradfield <jcb+unicode_at_inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 15:31:22 +0100 (BST)

On 2015-10-06, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> I don't think it is a good idea for tectual passwords to make differences
> based on the number of spaces. Being plain text they are likely to be
> displayed in utser interfaces in a way that the user will not see. Without

This is true of all passwords. Passwords have to be typed by finger
memory, not by looking at them (unless you're the type who puts them
on sticky notes, in which case you type by looking at the text on the
note). One doesn't normally see the characters, at best a count of
characters.

> trimming, users won't see the initial or final space, and the password
> input method may not display them as well (e.g. in an HTML input form or

All browsers I use display spaces in input boxes, and put blobs for
hidden fields. Do you have evidence for broken input fields?

> when using a button to generate passphrases that users must then copy-paste
> to their password manager or to some private text document).

Copy-paste works on all my systems, too - do you have evidence of
broken copy-paste in this way?

> Some password
> storages also will implicitly trim and compress those strings (e.g. in a

If it compresses it on setting, but doesn't compress it on testing, or
vice versa, then that's a bug. If it does the same for setting and
testing, it doesn't matter (except to compromise the crack-resistance
of the password).

> fixed-width column of a table in a database). There's also frequently no
> visual hint when entering or displaying those spaces and compression occurs

Evidence? Maybe if you're typing a password into a Word document it's
hard to count spaces, but why would you be doing that?

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.