Re: The scope of Unicode (from Re: How can my research become implemented in a standardized manner?)

From: Mark E. Shoulson <mark_at_kli.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 19:50:48 -0400

On 10/16/2015 01:10 PM, William_J_G Overington wrote:

> I have been considering how to make progress with trying for my
> research to become implemented in a standardized manner.
>
> I have been informed that a group of people have examined the document
> that I submitted and determined that it is out of scope for UTC.

There are millions of people on this great globe doing all kinds of
research into all kinds of things. Most of them somehow manage to do so
without requiring an international standards body to change its workings
and basic outlook to accommodate them. It staggers the imagination that
your research simply cannot be done without the cooperation of Unicode,
and moreover, that you have the nerve to ask for it to change its
*entire scope* just so that your personal project, stalled by your own
hand, can move forward.

Learn how all those millions of people out there manage to do their work
and further their research without calling on multinational bodies to
bend to their whims. It must be possible, everyone else seems to be
able to do it. The only thing stopping your research from progressing
and standardizing is you. Unicode isn't doing what you want? Make your
own standard. Make it standard for *your* stuff. Get people to like it
and use it. You cannot expect Unicode to change to be what you want any
time in the foreseeable future; make do without it.

Please. Grow up and take responsibility for your own research and stop
trying to bend Unicode into what YOU think it should be, when the clear
consensus is that it isn't. The rest of us are tired of having to
answer this question (or see it answered) over and over.

~mark