Re: The scope of Unicode (from Re: How can my research become implemented in a standardized manner?)

From: Mark E. Shoulson <mark_at_kli.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 20:48:21 -0400

It's nice that you've written proposals. I suppose the various groups
will pick it up and get back to you as they usually do. But if they say
"no, you're out of scope" again, it probably means that you're out of
scope, and submitting another proposal of the same thing will not make
it any more in-scope.

I have no idea why deposition with the British Library is in any way
significant or even relevant. It's nice to mail documents to people who
will save them, yes.

You ask about these same questions often. Often enough that some have
been banned as topics of conversation here. You've been doing it for
years. "Can the scope of Unicode change?" you ask. At this point, I
suggest that you act as if the answer is "No!" and move on, without
trying to force Unicode to become a partner in your research. Even if
the answer is "Maybe" it's not the kind of thing you can be *sure* will
happen. You need to proceed in a way that doesn't depend on other
things beyond your control.

You want to join Unicode as an official member and try to change its
scope from the inside, where you can even vote? Be my guest.

You can't proceed with your research without a multinational standards
committee changing *its entire scope and outlook* just to accommodate
you? Then you're going about research wrong. "Unicode and the
International Standard with which it is synchronized are the standards"
you say? Obviously not, since Unicode has said that it doesn't encode
what you want. So it is NOT the standard for the things you want to use
it for. It's the standard for other things.

Do doctors insist that the WHO completely change its focus so their
research can be included? Other researchers the world over are doing
their thing without asking ISO, Unicode, ANSI, DIN, or the IAEA for that
matter change to suit them. I have not heard of other cases like this,
which doesn't mean there aren't any, but it probably means there aren't
many, and I haven't heard any standards organizations announcing changes
based on requests like this, either.

This is not the standard you were looking for. Find another or make
your own (or both), like a responsible researcher and scientist.

~mark