Re: The scope of Unicode (from Re: How can my research become implemented in a standardized manner?)

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 15:25:19 -0700

Martin J. Dürst wrote:

> Well, the translation isn't perfect :-(. It translates
> "Have you vomited?" to "あなたは嘔吐していますか?"
> Apart from the unnecessary (in Japanese) subject, and the usually not
> used question mark, it's present tense, corresponding to "Are you
> vomiting?". I'm sure no doctor would have to ask this.

Doctors ask this kind of question all the time: "Are you coughing? Are
you wheezing?" The clear intent of such a question is not so much "Are
you now?" but rather "Have you been lately?" In any case, the
language-challenged doctor-patient pair should reach common
understanding fairly quickly.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸