Re: Enclosing BANKNOTE emoji?

From: Leo Broukhis <leob_at_mailcom.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 08:34:40 -0800

Per se, the level of use is quite respectable. On emojitracker (not yet
updated with newer emoji), :dollar: is at #330/845, and the lowest of the
group, :yen:, is #688. My calculations based on the usage count and
population of the countries using corresponding signs shows that :dollar:
is way out of proportion, which means that it is used by default quite a
lot.
Speaking of "enclosing banknote" vs variation selector, the shorthands
(:dollar:, :yen:, etc.) suggest that Twitter treats the banknote emoji as
emoji-style of the currency signs, and a new character would be superfluous.

Leo