Re: Failure on Japanese dolls emoji

From: Ryusei Yamaguchi <mandel59_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 09:57:29 +0900

On 2016/03/04 7:59, Pierpaolo Bernardi wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 8:42 PM, Ryusei Yamaguchi<mandel59_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello, Unicode
>>
>> 3rd March is hina-matsuri (雛祭り; Doll's Day) in Japan, and there is an emoji for it: Japanese Dolls. I wrote an article on failures of that emoji:http://mandel59.hateblo.jp/entry/2016/03/04/041437
>>
>> Some vendors ship Japanese Dolls emoji that don't seem to be hina-matsuri dolls. I wish difficulty of implementation of culture-dependent emoji be given wider publicity by this post.
> But, the name of the emoji is "JAPANESE DOLLS", not hina-matsuri, so
> you are expecting a particular visual, which is not promised anywhere.
>
> Is a bit like if I complained that some "MOUNTAIN" emojis are wrong
> because they don't look like Monte Bianco.
>
> Cheers

JAPANESE DOLLS in Unicode is collected from the character sets of KDDI
and SoftBank, Japanese telecom companies, and the emoji is named as 雛祭
り or ひな祭り (both are hina-matsuri) in these specs. Here is a capture
of Chart with FPDAM8 data and glyphs
<https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unicode.org%2F%7Escherer%2Femoji4unicode%2Fsnapshot%2Femojidata.pdf>
via https://sites.google.com/site/unicodesymbols/Home/emoji-symbols

And the NamesList.txt of Unicode Character Database gives the
the authorities to let the emoji look like hina-matsuri?

Ryusei