Re: annotations (was: NamesList.txt as data source)

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 13:03:20 -0600

My point is that of J.S. Choi and Janusz Bień: the problem with
declaring NamesList off-limits is that it does contain information that
is either:

• not available in any other UCD file, or
• available, but only in comments (like the MAS mappings), which aren't
  supposed to be parsed either.

Ken wrote:

> [ .. ] NamesList.txt is itself the result of a complicated merge
> of code point, name, and decomposition mapping information from
> UnicodeData.txt, of listings of standardized variation sequences from
> StandardizedVariants.txt, and then a very long list of annotational
> material, including names list subhead material, etc., maintained in
> other sources.

But sometimes an implementer really does need a piece of information
that exists only in those "other sources." When that happens, sometimes
the only choices are to resort to NamesList or to create one's own data
file, as Ken did by parsing the comment lines from the math file. Both
of these are equally distasteful when trying to be conformant.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸