Re: Joined "ti" coded as "Ɵ" in PDF

From: Julian Bradfield <jcb+unicode_at_inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 22:30:11 +0000 (GMT)

On 2016-03-19, Don Osborn <dzo_at_bisharat.net> wrote:
> The details may or may not be relevant to the list topic, but as a user
> of documents in PDF format, I fail to see the benefit of such obscure
> mappings. And as a creator of PDFs ("save as") looking at others' PDFs

Aren't you just being bitten by history? PDF derives from PostScript,
which is not a language for representing plain text with typesetting
information, but a language for type(and-graphic-)setting tout court.
There's a lot of history of fonts using arbitrary codepoints; the idea
that the underlying strings giving rise to the displayed graphics
should also be a good plain text representation of the information is
relatively novel.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.