Re: Character Index

From: Janusz S. Bień <jsbien_at_mimuw.edu.pl>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2016 13:20:02 +0200

On Tue, Mar 29 2016 at 20:56 CEST, asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com writes:
> On 3/29/2016 11:24 AM, Ken Whistler wrote:
>
> On 3/29/2016 12:16 AM, Janusz S. Bień wrote:
>
> What about a simpler and more technical approach, like a character
> with links to the relevant proposals? Doesn't such a thing
> already exist
> for internal use?
>

> No, and it is exceedingly *non*-trivial to produce such an index.
>

> This is an area where anybody can play. Not to ignore the issues and
> complexities that Ken rightly points out, but the archive is
> accessible and anyone could try their hands and data mining - but
> would quickly discover that they would need actual manpower to curate
> the results to be useful.

[...]

> Such effort would be most useful not in a generalized index, but in
> describing certain collections of characters (for example Latin
> Medievalist characters) because then it would be possible to collate
> the information with other sources of character usage conventions for
> a one-stop solution for anyone in the field.

Both an index and the descriptions can coexist.

Personally I think the index should be the primary source. The problem
is to find or to desing an appropriate software which would allow to use
the available manpower (probably provided by volunteers) in an efficient
way.

Best regards

Janusz

--
                           ,
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bien -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)