Re: Noto unified font

From: James Kass <jameskasskrv_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2016 21:26:11 -0800

Philippe Verdy wrote,

> The purpose is not to invent new designs but present designs
> that are easily read and convenient for each script ...

Based on what I've seen so far, Monotype has done a splendid job. No
doubt involving plenty of design work. Philippe Verdy has outlined
some of the design decisions already, and it should be noted that
designing a pan-Unicode font (or font collection) for multilingual
text display using easily read script-conventional glyphs probably
isn't as easy as it sounds.

<off topic>

The word "free" when applied to any product means "free of charge".

"Freeware" appears to be a contraction of "free software". If so, the
two terms are identical in meaning. If not, speakers of standard
English would consider them so. It's too bad the promoters of
"free-libre" software didn't call it "libre". Creating an artificial
distinction between identical terms in order to promote a philosophy
some reject smacks of Newspeak.

</off topic>

Best regards,

James Kass