Re: Why incomplete subscript/superscript alphabet ?

From: Ken Whistler <kenwhistler_at_att.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 13:24:41 -0700

On 10/10/2016 1:14 PM, Michael Everson wrote:
> On 10 Oct 2016, at 21:04, Julian Bradfield <jcb+unicode_at_inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Linguists don't need internationalization. They use IPA or other notations.
> We need reliable plain-text notation systems. Otherwise distinctions we wish to encode may be lost.
>
> Michael

Recte: We need reliable notation systems. Otherwise distinctions we wish
to represent may be lost.

Whether a "reliable notation system" has to be entirely plain text in
its content, or includes reliable standard means for markup, such as
XML, is a matter for debate and consensus among the linguists involved.

Linguists need to represent all kinds of things, and assuming that all
pertinent text content of interest to them is ipso facto plain text is
erroneous.

--Ken