Re: A sign/abbreviation for "magister"

From: Julian Bradfield via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 20:26:42 +0000 (GMT)

On 2018-10-30, Marcel Schneider via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org> wrote:
> Dr Bradfield just added on 30/10/2018 at 14:21 something that I didn’t
> know when replying to Dr Ewell on 29/10/2018 at 21:27:

>> The English abbreviation Mr was also frequently superscripted in the
>> 15th-17th centuries, and that didn't mean anything special either - it
>> was just part of a general convention of superscripting the final
>> segment of abbreviations, probably inherited from manuscript practice.
>
> So English dropped the superscript requirement for common abbreviations

Who said anything about requirement? I didn't.
The practice of using superscripts to end abbreviations is alive and
well in manuscript - I do it myself in writting notes for myself. For
example, "condition" I will often write as "cond<sup>n</sup>", and
"equation" as "eq<sup>n</sup>".

> in the 17ᵗʰ or 18ᵗʰ century to keep it only for ordinals. Should Unicode

What do you mean, for ordinals? If you mean 1st, 2nd etc., then there
is not now (when superscripting looks very old-fashioned) and never
has been any requirement to superscript them, as far as I know -
though since the OED doesn't have an entry for "1st", I can't easily
check.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.