Re: A sign/abbreviation for "magister"

From: Julian Bradfield via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 16:20:47 +0000 (GMT)

On 2018-10-31, Marcel Schneider via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org> wrote:

> Preformatted Unicode superscript small letters are meeting the French superscript
> requirement, that is found in:
> http://www.academie-francaise.fr/abreviations-des-adjectifs-numeraux
> (in French). This brief article focuses on the spelling of the indicators,
> without questioning the fact that they are superscript.

When one does question the Académie about the fact, this is their
reply:

 Le fait de placer en exposant ces mentions est de convention
 typographique ; il convient donc de le faire. Les seules exceptions
 sont pour Mme et Mlle.

which, if my understanding of "convient" is correct, carefully does
quite say that it is *wrong* not to superscript, but that one should
superscript when one can because that is the convention in typography.

My original question was:

 etc. (J'utilise l'indication HTML pour les lettres supérieures.)

 La question est: est-ce que les lettres supérieures sont
 *obligatoires*, ou sont-ils simplement une question de style? C'est à
 dire, si on écrit "1er, 45e" etc., est-ce une erreur, ou un style
 simple mais correct?

I did not think that their Dictionary desk would understand the
concept of plain text, so I didn't ask explicitly for their opinions
on encoding :)

Which takes us back to when typography is plain text...

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.