Re: use vs mention (was: second attempt)

From: Piotr Karocki via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 23:35:06 +0100

>We don't know whether the abbreviation "Mr", spelled exactly this way,
>already existed in that time and in that geographical area.
>
>You still don't see the difference in the meaning?

 Maybe another example, from chemistry:

<sup>14</sup>C = isotope of carbon (carbon 14)
14C = 14 units of carbon (mole, atoms, molecule)
C<sub>14</sub> = 14 atoms of carbon
C<sup>I</sup> = carbon on first oxidation
CI = molecule of carbon and iodine
C<sup>V</sup> = carbon on fifth oxidation
CV = molecule of carbon and vanadium
CV<sup>V</sup> = molecule of carbon and vanadium, with vanadium on fifth
oxidation
C<sup>V</sup>V molecule of carbon and vanadium, with vanadium on fifth
oxidation, with carbon on fifth oxidation

Ca<sup>2+</sup> = plus sign means cation (of calcium with electrical charge
2)
Ca<sub>2</sub>+ = plus sign means adding something to molecule of two atoms
of calcium

etc.
So, what means 'plaintext' 14C? Which of two possible meanings?
So, what means 'plaintext' CVV? What means "Ca2+"?

Letter, digit, etc., placed as <sub> has different meanings than <sup>, and
different than no-sup and no-sub.

These are only examples of changes in meaning with <sup> or <sub>, not all
of these examples can really exist - but, then, another question: can we
know what author means? And as carbon and iodine cannot exist, then of
course CI should be interpreted as carbon on first oxidation? But maybe
author is student, taking exam, and he/she thinks about molecule of carbon
and iodine?

---8<---
Piotr Karocki