Re: Bidi paragraph direction in terminal emulators (was: Proposal for BiDi in terminal emulators)

From: Egmont Koblinger via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 22:36:22 +0100

Hi Richard,

> That split is wrong if you want the non-HTML text to lay out reasonably
> well in anything but a higher order protocol forcing RTL. You need to
> it split as:
>
> lorem ipsum ABC
> <LTRM><[ DEF foobar

Okay, so you should use LRMs or other similar tricks when wrapping a
human-perceived paragraph of text.

I take it as:

- The expected definition of "paragraph", for the technical sake of
running the BiDi algorithm, is lines of the text file (that is,
between a newline and the next one).

- On top of this technical definition, the document is crafted so that
lines are not longer than a certain threshold, and the human-perceived
paragraphs are usually delimited by empty lines (sometimes by other
means, like bullets of a list).

Sounds like a reasonable approach to me, probably the best to have.
And, by the way, aligns with my BiDi proposal if the higher level
protocol (escape sequences) set the paragraph direction correctly and
disable autodetection.

cheers,
egmont