RE: New Public Review on QID emoji

From: wjgo_10009_at_btinternet.com via Unicode <wjgo_10009_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 15:54:34 +0000 (GMT)

WJGO >>Yet if QID emoji are implemented by Unicode Inc. without also
being implemented by ISO/IEC 10646 then that could lead to future
problems, ...

Peter Constable wrote as follows.

> Neither Unicode Inc. or ISO/IEC 10646 would _implement_ QID emoji.

That is correct. I should have made clear that I was referring to the
specification for QID emoji rather than QID emoji. How quite to express
precisely and concisely the formal acceptance of the specification by
Unicode Inc. to become a published Unicode Inc. document giving the
go-ahead for implementation by anyone (not just software vendors) is
somewhat difficult without using the word 'implement'.

Peter within his post also wrote as follows.

> The PRI doc mentions the possibility of a registry for QID sequences;
> a key benefit of a registry is that it may mitigate against these
> non-interop risks. But the current proposal does not in fact provide
> any mitigations for these issues other than the possibility that a QID
> sequence might be at some point become an RGI sequence.

I put forward on Friday 8 November 2019 a suggestion that might help
towards solving the problem.

https://www.unicode.org/review/pri408/

William Overington

Tuesday 12 November 2019