UTC Meeting 151
San Jose, CA May 8-12, 2017
Hosted by Adobe
Meeting Logistical Information
Last updated: May 12, 2017

UTC Plenary Meeting:
    Monday, May 8          10:30 am to 5:30 pm
    Tuesday, May 9          9:30 am to 5:30 pm
    Wednesday, May 10   9:30 am to 5:00 pm
    Thursday, May 11       9:30 am to 5:30 pm
    Friday, May 12           9:30 am to 2:00 pm

L2 Plenary Meeting:
    Friday, May 12          2:00 pm to 5:00 pm

Call-in and Online Meeting Information:
   USA toll free: +1 866 500 6738
   Passcode: 741167    

Scheduled activities:

Agenda Item
Day and Time (PDT)
Call-in Information
E.1 Emoji topics Davis, Edberg, et al Monday, 2 pm see above
C.7 Egyptian Hieroglyphs Glass, Anderson, et al Tuesday, 9:30 am see above
B.3 IRG, B.4 CJK Lunde, Jenkins, et al Tuesday, 10:30 am see above
C.10 Georgian Moore, Razmadze Wednesday, 9:30 am see above
D.8 Tamil fractions Tamil Nadu, et al Thursday, 9:30 am see above
B.11.10, B.14 Indic segmentation and properties Davis, Lata, et al Thursday, 10:30 am see above
E.1 Emoji topics Davis, Edberg, et al Thursday, 1:00 pm see above
D.5 Lao characters for Pali Rajan Friday, 9:30 am see above

Ad  Hoc Meetings:

Ad Hoc Subject Person Day and Time (PST) Location Call-in Information
E.1 Emoji topics Davis, Edberg, et al Monday, lunch, 12:30 to 1:30   see above
E.1 Emoji topics Davis, Edberg, et al Thursday, lunch, 11:45 to 12:45
see above
E.1 Emoji topics Davis, Edberg, et al Friday, lunch, 12:30 to 1:30   see above

Other meetings:

Meeting Person Day and Time (PST) Location Call-in Information

Wednesday, 8:00 to 9:30 am
888-426-6840, passcode 645-417-42#

A. Administrative Topics
A.1 UTC membership roll call
  A.1.1 Call for proxies
  A.1.2 Roll call

A.2 Declaration of meeting open

A.3 Registration of new documents

A.4 Approval of meeting agenda [L2/17-015]
  Latest version of this document

A.5 Minutes and action items
  A.5.1 Approval of minutes
    A.5.1.1Approve UTC Meeting 150 [L2/17-016]
  A.5.2  Action Items
    A.5.2.1 Review of open action items [L2/SD2]
    A.5.2.2 Recently closed action items [L2/17-104]

  Minutes posted at http://www.unicode.org/unicode/consortium/utc-minutes.html

A.6 Calendar review
  UTC 152 July 31, August 1-4, 2017, host Microsoft
  UTC 153 October 23-27, 2017, host Apple, Annual Full Members Mtg
  UTC 154 January 22-25, 2018, host Google
  UTC 155 April 30-May 4, 2018, host Adobe

  Calendar posted at http://www.unicode.org/unicode/timesens/calendar.html

A.7 Letter ballot review

A.8 Schedule ad hoc meetings

A.9 Membership update

B. Liaison Reports and Technical Topics

B.1  JTC1/SC2/WG2
  B.1.1 Meeting reports
    B.1.1.1 Convenor's report
    B.1.1.2 Liaison reports
      B. Unicode liaison report to SC2

      B. Unicode liaison report from SC2       
Script Encoding Initiative Liaison report (to WG2) [Anderson]
    B.1.1.3 IR's meeting report [Anderson]
    B.1.1.4 Consent docket
  B.1.2 SC2/WG2 minutes, recommendations, resolutions, report
    B.1.2.1 Minutes [SC/WG2]
    B.1.2.2 Reports
  B.1.3 Amendments/Ballots
    B.1.3.1 5th Edition, Amendment 1.2
      B. Draft disposition of comments on PDAM1.2 to ISO/IEC 10646 5th edition (WG2 N4794) [Suignard, L2/17-161]
  B.1.4 Ad Hoc reports
  B.1.5 Review pipeline characters to ensure all new characters are in ballot comments or a separate document [Whistler]
  B.1.6 Review of document requesting new additions [Anderson, L2/17-061, L2/17-171]

B.2 SC2/SC22/SC34/SC35/SC36/TC37/SC29/TC12
  B.2.1 Liaison reports
    B.2.1.1 Unicode Consortium Liaison Report to TC 37/SC 2 [Constable]  
    B.2.1.2 Unicode Consortium Liaison Report to JTC1/SC 2
      B. Unicode Consortium Comments on SC2 N4418 and N4415 [Constable]   
    B.2.1.3 Liaison report from OWG Sort Editor [Whistler]    
  B.2.2 JTC/SC documents
    B.2.2.1 SC2
      B. 10646
      B. 14651
    B.2.2.2 SC35
      B. WG5
    B.2.2.3 TC37/SC2
      B. Liaison report [Constable]
      B. Ballot results for TC37/SC2 New Work Item Proposal: Identification and description of language varieties [TC37/SC2, L2/16-242]
    B.2.2.4 JTC1

  B.3.1 Liaison report  [Lunde]
  B.3.2 Comments on IRG P&P Version 9 [Lunde, L2/17-057]
  B.3.3 Logistic details for ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2/IRG Meeting #49 [Lunde, L2/17-097]
  B.3.4 Proposal on 3 China’s UNCs for Chemical Terminology to URO+  [China NB, L2/17-156]

  B.4.1 Proposal to add informative notes and cross-reference to U+F92C and U+F9B8 [Chung, L2/17-090]
  B.4.2 Proposal to add new block “CJK Complex Ideographic Symbols” [Suzuki, L2/17-150]

  B.5.1 Liaison report [McGowan]

  B.6.1 Liaison report

B.7 UC Berkeley Department of Linguistics - Script Encoding Initiative
  B.7.1 Liaison report [Anderson, L2/17-154]

  B.8.1 Liaison report [Umaoke, Scherer]

B.9 Unicode Locales Project (CLDR)
  B.9.1 Liaison report [Davis, Edberg]
  B.9.2 Unicode release schedules [Davis, L2/17-155]  
  B.9.3 Math Formula Preferences [Emmons, L2/17-101]

B.10 Unicode Localization Interoperability (ULI)
  B.10.1 Liaison report [Loomis]

B.11 Public Review Issues
  B.11.1 Issue 329: Proposed Update UAX #44, Unicode Character Database
    B.11.1.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/17-105]
      B. Feedback on UAX#44 [Davis, L2/17-108
    B.11.1.2 Document for review [Whistler, Iancu, L2/17-132]
   B.11.2 Issue 332: Proposed Update UTS #10, Unicode Collation
    B.11.2.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/17-105]
      B. Hangul sorting order and the Unicode Collation Algorithm [Chung, L2/17-078]
    B.11.2.2 Document for review [Whistler, Scherer, et al, L2/17-134]
 B.11.3 Issue 333: Proposed Update UAX #31, Unicode Identifier and Pattern Syntax
   B.11.3.1 Feedback
     B. General feedback [L2/17-105]
   B.11.3.2 Document for review [Davis, L2/17-133]
 B.11.4 Issue 334: Proposed Update UTS #39, Unicode Security Mechanisms
   B.11.4.1 Feedback
     B. General feedback [L2/17-105]
    B. Proposal for v10.1 of UAX #39  [Davis, L2/17-166]
   B.11.4.2 Document for review [Davis, L2/17-135]
 B.11.5 Issue 335: Proposed Update UAX #14, Unicode Line Breaking Algorithm
    B.11.5.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/17-105]
    B.11.5.2 Document for review [Henninger, L2/17-136]
  B.11.6 Issue 336: Proposed Update UAX #41, Common References for Unicode Standard Annexes
    B.11.6.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/17-105]
    B.11.6.2 Document for review [McGowan, Iancu, L2/17-137]
  B.11.7 Issue 338: Proposed Update UAX #38, Unicode Han Database
    B.11.7.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/17-105]
      B. Proposal to add kTongyongGuifanHanzibiao, kJoyoKanji, kJinmeiyoKanji, and kJinmeiyoKanjiVariant to the Unihan Database [Chung, L2/17-088]
      B. Proposed changes to kRSUnicode and kRSKangXi values [Jenkins, L2/17-096]
      B. Proposed corrections to Unihan database [Jenkins, et al, L2/17-109]
      B. Proposal to add kKoreanName and kKoreanNameVariant to the Unihan Database [Chung, L2/17-084]
    B.11.7.2 Document for review [Jenkins, et al, L2/17-138]
  B.11.8 Issue 339: Proposed Update UAX #45, U-Source Ideographs
    B.11.8.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/17-105
      B. Proposal to add 100 place names used ideographs to UAX #45 (with bitmap images ZIP) [Wang, L2/17-062]
      B. Proposal to add two ideographs for Gongche Notation to UAX #45 [Chan, L2/17-079]
      B. Proposal to add one ideograph used in Teochew Dialects to UAX #45 [Wang, L2/17-083]
      B. Proposal to add an ideograph for Haifeng County to UAX #45 as a urgently needed character  [Wang, L2/17-099]
      B. Proposal to add an ideograph for Chemistry to UAX #45 [Li, L2/17-111]
    B.11.8.2 Document for review [Jenkins, L2/17-139]
  B.11.9 Issue 340: Proposed Update UAX #9, Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm
    B.11.9.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/17-105]
    B.11.9.2 Document for review [Davis, et al, L2/17-029]
  B.11.10 Issue 341: Proposed Update UAX #29, Unicode Text Segmentation
    B.11.10.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/17-105]
      B. Background of Indic segmentation [Lata, L2/17-094]
      B. Rebuttal of "Background of Indic segmentation" [Wordingham, L2/17-122]
      B. Aksara Support in UAX #29 [Davis, L2/17-167]
    B.11.10.2 Document for review [Davis, Iancu, L2/17-140]
  B.11.11 Issue 342: Proposed Update UAX #50, Unicode Vertical Text Layout
    B.11.11.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/17-105]
    B.11.11.2 Document for review [Ishii, Iancu, L2/17-141]  
B.11.12 Issue 344: New Unicode Character Property EquivalentUnifiedIdeograph
    B.11.12.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/17-105]
    B.11.12.2 Document for review [L2/17-142]
  B.11.13 Issue 345: Proposed Update UAX #11, East Asian Width
    B.11.13.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/17-105]
    B.11.13.2 Document for review L2/17-143]
   B.11.14 Issue 346: Proposed Update UAX #42, Unicode Character Database in XML
    B.11.14.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/17-105]
    B.11.14.2 Document for review L2/17-144]
  B.11.15 Issue 347: Proposed Update UTS #46, Unicode IDNA Compatibility Processing
     B.11.15.1 Feedback
       B. General feedback [L2/17-105]
     B.11.15.2 Document for review [L2/17-145]
  B.11.16  Issue 348: Proposed Update UTS #51, Unicode Emoji
    B.11.16.1 Feedback
      B. General feedback [L2/17-105 
    B.11.16.2 Document for review [Davis, Edberg,L2/17-146]
  B.11.17  Issue 350: Unicode 10.0.0 Beta
    B.11.17.1 Feedback
     B. General feedback [L2/17-105
    B.11.17.2 Document for review [Whistler]
  B.11.18 Other feedback
    B.11.18.1 Feedback     
      B. General feedback [L2/17-105]
    B.11.18.2 Other documents

B.12 Unicode Technical Reports, Standards, and Standard Annexes
  B.12.1 UTR #25, Unicode Support for Mathematics [Sargent, Iancu, L2/17-165]

B.13 Editorial Committee/Unicode Standard
  B.13.1 Errata
  B.13.2 Editorial Committee report [Whistler]
  B.13.3 Unicode 10.0
    B.13.3.1 Unicode 10.0 beta
    B.13.3.2 Unicode 10.0 release
    B.13.3.3 Illegal UTF-8 [Scherer, L2/17-168]

B.14 Properties
  B.14.1 New categories for Indic characters [Pandey, L2/17-148]
  B.14.2 Regularize Extended_Pictographic [CLDR-TC, Davis,  L2/17-074]
  B.14.3 Proposal to add “Deprecated” property to halfwidth hangul jamo characters [Chung, L2/17-118]
  B.14.4 Corrections to the Indic syllabic category for the Tai Tham script [L2/17-120]
  B.14.5 Indic characters without syllabic category assignments [Pandey, L2/17-121  
  B.14.6 Reconsidering ScriptExtensions added for supporting Tamil fractions [Sharma, L2/17-158]
  B.14.7 Indic positional category of Javanese Cakra [Pournader, L2/17-163]
  B.14.8 Joining properties of Syriac letters used for writing Malayalam [Pournader, L2/17-164]
  B.14.9 Proposed Indic syllabic category changes for Tai Tham for Unicode 10  [Pournader, L2/17-169]

B.15 Ad hoc reports
  B.15.1 Emoji Ad Hoc

C. Scripts
C.1 WG2-related
  C.1.1 Review of script documents requested by WG2
C.2 Review of UTC script proposals
  C.2.1 Script Ad Hoc recommendations [Anderson, et al, L2/17-153]
C.3 Proposal to encode the Palaeohispanic script [SEI/Ferrer, et al, L2/17-129]
C.4 Proposal to encode the Hniakeng Puachue Hmong script (revised; WG2 N4780R) [SEI/Everson, L2/17-002R3]
C.5 Mongolian
  C.5.1 Proposal to encode one Sibe letter and one Mongolian format control, and add ten variants to three Mongolian letters. [Ma, et al, L2/17-063]
  C.5.2 Proposal to change glyphs of Mongolian letter Manchu Ka [Ma, et al, L2/17-064]
  C.5.3 Proposal to correct the descriptions of Mongolian letter Manchu Ka and Manchu vowel harmony [Ma, et al, L2/17-065]
  C.5.4 Glyph corrections for 11 Ali Gali final forms [Wang, et al, L2/17-115]
  C.5.5 Comments on L2/17-036 (Mongolian suffix connector) [Hai, L2/17-052]
    C.5.5.1 Comments on L2/17-036 (Mongolian suffix connector)  by Liang Hai [Eck, L2/17-123]
  C.5.6 Modify Standardizedvariants.txt file In the Mongolian/Todo Block U+1800 – U+185C PHASE II [Dorji, et al, L2/17-128]
  C.5.7 Mongolian model [Hai]

  C.5.8 A minimum set of glyph corrections needed for the 10.0 beta Mongolian code chart [Hai, L2/17-170]
C.6  Proposal to encode the Wancho script (WG2 N4787) [SEI/Everson, L2/17-067]
C.7 Egyptian Hieroglyphs
  C.7.1 New draft for the encoding of an extended Egyptian Hieroglyphs repertoire (Hieroglyphica based)(17MB, and associated database PDF snapshot) [Suignard, L2/17-073]
  C.7.2 A method for encoding Egyptian quadrats in Unicode [Glass, et al, L2/17-112]
C.8 Arabic
  C.8.1 Suggestions on Hamza Al-Dani Quranic Marks proposition [Lazrek, L2/17-068]
     C.8.1.1 Explanations about Al-dani Quranic Marks [Abudena, L2/17-004]
  C.8.2 Proposal to Encode Arabic Hamza Above Isolated Form [Esfabod, L2/17-149]
C.9 Proposal for the encoding of an Egyptological YOD [Suignard, L2/17-076R2]
C.10 Georgian
  C.10.1 Report on conference call with Georgian experts [Moore]

  C.10.2 Revised proposal for the addition of Georgian characters [Everson, L2/16-081]
    C.10.2.1 Response to UTC on Mtavruli [Razmadze, L2/17-045]
    C.10.2.2 Georgian: Comments on Database Stability [Loomis, L2/17-050R]
C.11 Proposal to add 6 standardized variation sequences for counting rods [Silva, L2/17-085] 
C.12 Japanese National Body Contribution on Small Kana Characters [Japan NB L2/17-091]

C.13 Proposal to add Roman Numerals Alternate Number Fours [Silva, L2/17-092]
C.14 Towards an encoding of the Jurchen script and implications for Khitan Small Script [West, Everson, et al, L2/17-107]
C.15 Mayan Numerals: Layout and reading order  in Mayan historical texts [Pallan, Anderson, L2/17-110]
C.16 Hangul
  C.16.1 Informative document about three pre-Unicode-2.0 modern hangul syllables [Chung, L2/17-080]
  C.16.2 Proposal to add an informative note to U+3164 HANGUL FILLER [Chung, L2/17-081]
  C.16.3 Preliminary Proposal for Encoding New Hangul characters [Oh, L2/17-125]
    C.16.3.1 Comments on L2/17-125, “Preliminary Proposal for Encoding New Hangul characters (for some English consonant sounds)” written by S. and S. Oh [Chung, L2/17-126]
C.17 Proposal to encode Proto-Cuneiform [SEI/Everson, L2/17-157]

D. South Asian

D.1 Review of Indic-related UTC documents
  D.1.1 Review of Indic-related documents and recommendations to the UTC [Anderson, et al, L2/17-153]
D.2 Request for editorial updates to Indic scripts [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-098]
   D.3.1 Proposal to encode the SANDHI MARK for Newa [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/16-383]
  D.3.2 Proposal to encode the SANDHI MARK for Bengali [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/16-322]
  D.3.3 Comments on L2/16-322, L2/16-383, Sandhi marks for Bengali and Newa [Anderson, L2/17-130]
D.4 Devanagari
  D.4.1 Preliminary proposal to encode Devanagari letter numerals [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-010]
    D.4.1.1 Feedback on preliminary proposal for Devanagari letter numerals [Sharma, L2/17-040]
  D.4.2 Clarification on Devanagari letter numerals [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-116]
    D.4.2.1 On Devanagari letter numerals [Sharma, L2/17-159]
D.5 Proposal to Encode Lao Characters for Pali [Rajan, L2/17-106]
D.6 Kannada
  D.6.1 Request to change glyphs of Kannada letters Vocalic L and Vocalic LL and their vowel signs [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-041]
  D.6.2 Feedback and Response on L2/17-041: Request to change glyphs of Kannada letters Vocalic L and Vocalic LL and their vowel signs [Anderson, L2/17-127]
  D.6.3 On the glyph changes for Kannada Vowels Vocalic L/LL [Sharma, L2/17-160]
D.7 Indic model (Liang Hai's spreadsheet)
   D.7.1 Preliminary analysis of ZWNJ and ZWJ's usage in Indic scripts HERE) [Hai, L2/17-046]]
D.8 Tamil
  D.8.1 Finalized proposal to encode Tamil fractions and symbols (with cover letter) [Tamil Nadu, L2/17-069]
  D.8.2 Comment on L2/17-069 :Tamil fractions and symbols [Ganesan, L2/17-114]
D.9 Vedic
  D.9.1 Proposal to encode the NEWA LETTER VEDIC ANUSVARA [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-093]
  D.9.2 Request to change the glyphs of Vedic signs Jihvamuliya and Upadhmaniya [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-095]
  D.9.3 Proposal to encode a nasal character in Vedic Extensions [Pandey, L2/17-117]
D.10 Nandinagari
  D.10.1 Towards an encoding model for Nandinagari conjuncts [Pandey, L2/17-119]
Final proposal to encode Nandinagari in Unicode [Pandey, L2/17-162]


E. Symbols

E.1 Emoji
  E.1.1 Emoji Subcommittee report Q2 2017 [ESC/Edberg, L2/17-131]
  E.1.2 Request for greater transparency in the Emoji Subcommittee [West, L2/17-147]
  E.1.3 Emoji character proposals
    E.1.3.1 Evil Eye Emoji [Sozen, L2/17-058]
    E.1.3.2 Science Emoji proposal [Lemonick, et al, L2/17-113]
  E.1.4 Gender-neutral human form emoji  [ESC/Davis, L2/17-071]
  E.1.5 Appearance of unsupported emoji sequences [ESC/Davis, L2/17-075]
  E.1.6 Possible Emoji Representation for Natural Hair Colors, Features, and Styles [ESC/Burge, L2/17-082]
  E.1.7 Add ZWJ, VS-16, Keycaps & Tags to Emoji_Component [ESC/Burge, L2/17-086]
  E.1.8 Planet Emoji Sequences [Swetz, et al, L2/17-100]
E.2 Chess
  E.2.1 Revised proposal to encode heterodox chess symbols (WG2 N4784) [Wallace, Everson, L2/17-034R3]
  E.2.2 Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for chess notation [Wallace, Everson, L2/17-077R]
  E.2.3 Xiangqi game symbols [L2/17-161]
E.3 Proposal to encode the marca registrada sign (revised) [Silva, L2/17-066R]
E.4 Proposal to incorporate the symbols of ISO/IEC 9995-7:2009 and its Amendment 1 and of ISO/IEC 9995-10:2013 into the UCS (see also L2/17-047)  [SC35, L2/17-072]
E.5 Proposal to encode characters for Gongche Notation in SMP  [Chan, et al, L2/17-087]
E.6 Character Proposal: Hell pause character [Spix, L2/17-151]
E.7 Proposal to encode Iranian currency sign toman to the UCS [Rial, L2/17-060]
E.8 Proposal to encode a Middle Asterisk [Pentzlin, L2/17-152]
E.9 Preliminary proposal to encode Vexillology Symbols in Unicode [Pandey, L2/17-089]

F. Miscellaneous


G. Close of Meeting

G.1 Thank our hosts