L2/17-103

Draft Minutes of UTC Meeting 151
San José, CA -- May 8-12, 2017
Hosted by Adobe

UTC #151 Agenda
Revision date: May 18, 2017


Monday, May 8, 2017

Meeting opened at 10:30.

7 members represented: Adobe, Apple, Google, IBM, Microsoft, Netflix, UCB.

Quorum is 5.

A.5.1 Approval of minutes
A.5.1.1Approve UTC Meeting 150 [L2/17-016
]

[151-C1] Consensus: Approve minutes of UTC #150 as posted. L2/17-016.

Calendar Review.

Host for UTC #154 confirmed, Google.

A.5.2.1 Review of open action items [L2/SD2]

[151-A1] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Tom Milo that the UTC is closing action item 139-A60. The committee would welcome a proposal from him, if he still wants to do this.

[151-A2] Action Item for Rick McGowan, Editorial Committee: Produce a final version of UTS #22 which stabilizes the content and points to the use of ICU conversion data tables, and UTR #36 for security issues. See also action 120-A51, which this supercedes. (Post 10.0.)

Short break.

B.11.1.1.2 Feedback on UAX#44 [Davis, L2/17-108]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.1.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-105]

[151-A3] Action Item for Paul Hunt, Laurențiu Iancu: Identify those accents that cause a soft-dotted character to usually lose its dot, and bring the list to the UTC for further discussion.

[151-A4] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Update the text of the core spec in version 10.0 on soft-dotted property to qualify the statement about which marks above cause this behavior.

Lunch 12:30 - 1:30pm.

B.11.2.1.2 Hangul sorting order and the Unicode Collation Algorithm [Chung, L2/17-078]

[151-A5] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Invite Jaemin Chung to open a ticket in CLDR for improving the Korean sort order.

B.11.2.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-105]

[151-A6] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Michael Bobeck's feedback on UTS #10, PRI #332.

B.11.2.2 UTS #10 Document for review [Whistler, Scherer, et al, L2/17-134]

[151-A7] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Markus Scherer, Editorial Committee: Make changes to UTS #10 as discussed in the meeting.

[151-C2] Consensus: Approve the publication of UTS #10, version 10, as amended in discussion, after update.

[151-A8] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #332.

Present by phone: Roozbeh Pournader, Jeremy Burge, William Overington, Judy Safran-Aasen, Zachary Swetz.

E.1.1 Emoji Subcommittee report Q2 2017 [ESC/Edberg, L2/17-131]

Oral report by Peter Edberg, et al.

B.11.16.2 UTS #51 Document for review [Davis, Edberg,L2/17-146]

[151-A9] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to those who sent feedback on UTS #51, PRI #348, regarding disposition.

E.1.1 Emoji Subcommittee report Q2 2017 [ESC/Edberg, L2/17-131]

Discussion.

Short break.

[151-C3] Consensus: Approve UTS #51 verison 5, as amended in discussion, for publication.

[151-A10] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg, Editorial Committee: Update the text of UTS #51 version 5 for publication.

[151-A11] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Publish UTS #51, version 5.

[151-A12] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #348.

B.9.2 Unicode release schedules [Davis, L2/17-155]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.14.2 Regularize Extended_Pictographic [CLDR-TC, Davis, L2/17-074]

[151-C4] Consensus: Create a proposed update UTS #51 version 6, post release of the 5.0 version.

[151-A13] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Create a proposed update UTS #51 version 6.

[151-A14] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post PU UTS #51 version 6 for public review, to close July 24, 2017.

[151-A15] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg, Editorial Committee: Add documentation of the Extended_Pictographic property to UTS #51 version 6.

[151-A16] Action Item for Mark Davis: Add the Extended_Pictographic data file and segmentation test files to the emoji data 6.0 directory.

B.14.3 Proposal to add “Deprecated” property to halfwidth hangul jamo characters [Chung, L2/17-118]

[151-A17] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Respond to Jaemin Chung regarding the rationale for deprecation.

E.1.7 Add ZWJ, VS-16, Keycaps & Tags to Emoji_Component [ESC/Burge, L2/17-086]

[151-C5] Consensus: Add the characters described in L2/17-086 to the emoji components in proposed update of UTS #51 version 6 and add a review note pointing out the addition.

[151-A18] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg, Editorial Committee: Add characters from L2/17-086 into Emoji_Component in proposed update UTS #51 version 6.

[151-A19] Action Item for Mark Davis: Add characters from L2/17-086 into Emoji_Component in data files for proposed update emoji version 6.

B.7 UC Berkeley Department of Linguistics - SEI B.7.1 Liaison report [Anderson, L2/17-154]

Oral report and discussion.

B.9.3 Math Formula Preferences [Emmons, L2/17-101]

Discussion. Document is informative for UTC members.

Adjourned for the day at 5:30.


Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Meeting opened at 9:35.

6 members represented: Adobe, Apple, IBM, Microsoft, Netflix, UCB.

On the phone: William Overington, Andrew Glass, Richard Wordingham, Bob Richmond, Mark-Jan Nederhof ...

C.7.2 A method for encoding Egyptian quadrats in Unicode [Glass, et al, L2/17-112]

[151-C6] Consensus: Accept six Egyptian Hieroglyph control characters at:

	13432 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH INSERT TOP START
	13433 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH INSERT BOTTOM START
	13434 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH INSERT TOP END
	13435 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH INSERT BOTTOM END
	13437 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH SEGMENT START
	13438 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH SEGMENT END

with properties as documented in L2/17-112R, for encoding in a future version of the standard. Also, change the code points for the previously accepted vertical and horizontal joiners to 13430 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH VERTICAL JOINER and 13431 EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH HORIZONTAL JOINER.

[151-A20] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update eight Egyptian Hieroglyph control characters to the pipeline. See above Consensus 151-C6 and L2/17-112R.

[151-A21] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add six Egyptian Hieroglyph control characters to document requesting future additions and request the reordering of two previously accepted characters. See above Consensus 151-C6 and L2/17-112R.

[151-A22] Action Item for Andrew Glass, Michael Everson: Provide a font to Michel Suignard for eight Egyptian Hieroglyph control characters. See above Consensus 151-C6 and L2/17-112R.

C.7.1 New draft for the encoding of an extended Egyptian Hieroglyphs reptertoire [Suignard, L2/17-073]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Short break.

C.9 Proposal for the encoding of an Egyptological YOD [Suignard, L2/17-076]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

On the phone: John Jenkins.

B.3.2 Comments on IRG P&P Version 9 [Lunde, L2/17-057]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.3.4 Proposal on 3 China’s UNCs for Chemical Terminology to URO+ [China NB, L2/17-156]

[151-A23] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Support China's proposal for three urgently needed characters, L2/17-156, at the upcoming IRG meeting.

B.11.8.1.2 Proposal to add 100 place names used ideographs to UAX #45 [Wang, L2/17-062]

[151-A24] Action Item for John Jenkins: Add the 100 place name characters in L2/17-062 to UAX #45, after Unicode 10.0.

B.11.8.1.3 Proposal to add two ideographs for Gongche Notation to UAX #45 [Chan, L2/17-079]

[151-A25] Action Item for John Jenkins: Add the two Gongche Notation characters in L2/17-079 to UAX #45, after Unicode 10.0.

B.11.8.1.4 Proposal to add one ideograph used in Teochew Dialects to UAX #45 [Wang, L2/17-083]

[151-A26] Action Item for John Jenkins: Add the ideograph used Teochew Dialects in L2/17-079 to UAX #45, after Unicode 10.0.

B.11.8.1.5 Proposal to add an ideograph for Haifeng County to UAX #45 as a urgently needed character [Wang, L2/17-099]

[151-A27] Action Item for John Jenkins: Add the ideograph used in Haifeng County in L2/17-099 to UAX #45, after Unicode 10.0.

B.11.8.1.6 Proposal to add an ideograph for Chemistry to UAX #45 [Li, L2/17-111]

[151-A28] Action Item for John Jenkins: Add the ideograph used in chemistry in L2/17-111 to UAX #45, after Unicode 10.0.

B.11.7 Issue 338: Proposed Update UAX #38, Unicode Han Database
B.11.7.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-105
]

[151-A29] Action Item for John Jenkins: Update UAX #38 based on feedback from Wang Yifan in PRI #338.

[151-A29a] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Wang Yifan regarding feedback on PRI #338, with UTC actions.

[151-A30] Action Item for John Jenkins: Make two changes (for kIICore and kRSKangXi) in UAX #38 as noted in feedback from Ben Longbons (of April 10) in PRI #338 for Unicode 10.0.

[151-A31] Action Item for John Jenkins: Review the proposed syntax proposal from Ben Longbons (in PRI #338 feedback April 10) for possible incorporation into UAX #38 for a future version, and check that the validator correctly handles it.

[151-A32] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Ben Longbons re feedback on PRI #338, with UTC actions.

B.11.7.1.3 Proposed changes to kRSUnicode and kRSKangXi values [Jenkins, L2/17-096]

[151-A33] Action Item for John Jenkins: Change the kRSUnicode and kRSKangXi values of U+7353 from 949 to 94.11, for Unicode 10.0.

[151-A34] Action Item for Michel Suignard: Change the kRSUnicode and kRSKangXi values of U+7353 from 94.9 to 94.11 in his data set.

B.11.7.1.4 Proposed corrections to Unihan database [Jenkins, et al, L2/17-109]

[151-A35] Action Item for John Jenkins: Make the kHanyuPinyin corrections in Unihan for version 10.0, based on L2/17-109.

[151-A36] Action Item for Peter Edberg: Take the proposed corrections to kMandarin in L2/17-109 to the CLDR-TC for their review, and respond back to the UTC.

B.4.2 Proposal to add new block “CJK Complex Ideographic Symbols” [Suzuki, L2/17-150]

Discussion. UTC shrugged and went for noodles.

B.4.1 Proposal to add informative notes and cross-reference to U+F92C and U+F9B8 [Chung, L2/17-090]

[151-A37] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Add to the annotations in the nameslist for U+F92C and U+F9B8 a comment about the mapping change, and cross-references to the relevant compatibility ideographs. See document L2/17-090.

Break for lunch, 12:30 - 1:30.

B.11.7.1.2 Proposal to add kTongyongGuifanHanzibiao, kJoyoKanji, kJinmeiyoKanji, and kJinmeiyoKanjiVariant to the Unihan Database [Chung, L2/17-088]

[151-A38] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Review L2/17-084 and L2/17-088, and make a proposal for incorporation into Unihan, after Unicode 10.0.

C.4 Proposal to encode the Nyiakeng Puachue Hmong script (revised; WG2 N4780R) [SEI/Everson, L2/17-002R3]

[151-C7] Consensus: Accept 71 Nyiakeng Puachue Hmong characters at U+1E100..U+1E14F with block Nyiakeng Puachue Hmong U+1E100..U+1E14F, and properties as documented in L2/17-002R3 for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[151-A39] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include Nyiakeng Puachue Hmong script.

[151-A40] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add Nyiakeng Puachue Hmong script to document requesting new additions.

[151-A41] Action Item for Michael Everson: Send a font to Michel Suignard for Nyiakeng Puachue Hmong.

[151-A42] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the roadmap info for Nyiakeng Puachue Hmong.

C.6 Proposal to encode the Wancho script (WG2 N4787) L2/17-067]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.14 Towards an encoding of the Jurchen script and implications for Khitan Small Script [West, Everson, et al, L2/17-107]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.2.1 Revised proposal to encode heterodox chess symbols (WG2 N4784) [Wallace, Everson, L2/17-034R3]

[151-C8] Consensus: Accept 84 chess symbol characters at U+1FA00..1FA53, with block "Chess Symbols" U+1FA00..U+1FA5F and properties as given in L2/17-034R3, for encoding in a future version fo the standard.

[151-A43] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include 84 chess symbol characters. See document L2/17-034R3.

[151-A44] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add 84 chess symbol characters to document requesting new additions. See document L2/17-034R3.

[151-A45] Action Item for Michael Everson: Send a font to Michel Suignard for 84 chess symbol characters. See document L2/17-034R3.

E.2.2 Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for chess notation [Wallace, Everson, L2/17-077R]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.17 Proposal to encode Proto-Cuneiform [SEI/Everson, L2/17-157]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Short break.

B.1.3.1.1 Draft disposition of comments on PDAM1.2 to ISO/IEC 10646 5th edition (WG2 N4794) [Suignard, L2/17-161]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Meeting adjourned for the day at 5:35pm.


Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Meeting opened at 9:30.

5 members represented: Apple, Adobe, IBM, Microsoft, UCB

On phone: Georgian delegates [collect names from Lisa].

C.10 Georgian C.10.1 Report on conference call with Georgian experts [Moore]

[Add agenda item for Georgian L2/16-081]

[151-C9] Consensus: Accept 46 Georgian Mtavruli capital letters at U+1C90..U+1CBF in block "Georgian Extended" at U+1C90..U+1CBF, for encoding in a future version of the standard, with properties as given in L2/16-081, as uppercase pairs with the existing Georgian alphabet at U+10D0..U+10F6 which is to be considered lowercase.

[151-A46] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include 46 Georgian Mtavruli capital letters at U+1C90..U+1CBF in block "Georgian Extended" at U+1C90..U+1CBF

[151-A47] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add 46 Georgian Mtavruli capital letters to the document requesting new additions.

[151-A48] Action Item for Michael Everson: Send Georgian Mtavruli font to Michel Suignard.

D.3 Sandhi Mark D.3.1 Proposal to encode the SANDHI MARK for Newa [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/16-383]
D.3.2 Proposal to encode the SANDHI MARK for Bengali [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/16-322
]
D.3.3 Comments on L2/16-322 andL2/16-383, Sandhi marks for Bengali and Newa [Anderson, L2/17-130
]

[151-C10] Consensus: Change the name for U+09FE COMBINING BENGALI SIGN AVAGRAHA to BENGALI SANDHI MARK and change the name of U+1145E COMBINING NEWA SIGN AVAGRAHA to NEWA SANDHI MARK.

[151-A49] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include name change for U+09FE COMBINING BENGALI SIGN AVAGRAHA to BENGALI SANDHI MARK and U+1145E COMBINING NEWA SIGN AVAGRAHA to NEWA SANDHI MARK.

[151-A50] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add name change for U+09FE COMBINING BENGALI SIGN AVAGRAHA to BENGALI SANDHI MARK and U+1145E COMBINING NEWA SIGN AVAGRAHA to NEWA SANDHI MARK to the document requesting new additions.

[151-A51] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Laurențiu Iancu: Prepare a proposal to change the properties of U+111C9 SHARADA SANDHI MARK for Unicode version 11. See document L2/17-153.

Short break 10:35 - 10:45.

C.12 Japanese National Body Contribution on Small Kana Characters [Japan NB L2/17-091]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

D.10.2 Final proposal to encode Nandinagari in Unicode [Pandey, L2/17-162]

[151-C11] Consensus: Accept 64 Nandinagari characters at U+11B90..U+11BD3 in block "Nandinagari" U+11B90..11BEF, with properties as given in L2/17-162, for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[151-A52] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include 64 Nandinagari characters at U+11B90..U+11BD3.

[151-A53] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add 64 Nandinagari characters at U+11B90..U+11BD3 to the document requesting new additions.

[151-A54] Action Item for Anshuman Pandey: Provide a proposal summary form for Nandinagari.

[151-A55] Action Item for Anshuman Pandey: Provide a font for Nandinagari to Michel Suignard.

D.9.3 Proposal to encode a nasal character in Vedic Extensions [Pandey, L2/17-117]

[151-C12] Consensus: Accept U+1CFA VEDIC SIGN DOUBLE ANUSVARA ANTARGOMUKHA, with properties as given in L2/17-117, for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[151-A56] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+1CFA VEDIC SIGN DOUBLE ANUSVARA ANTARGOMUKHA

[151-A57] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+1CFA VEDIC SIGN DOUBLE ANUSVARA ANTARGOMUKHA to the document requesting new additions.

[151-A58] Action Item for Anshuman Pandey: Provide a proposal summary form for L2/17-117, and update document as recommended per the script ad-hoc report L2/17-153.

[151-A59] Action Item for Anshuman Pandey: Provide a font for U+1CFA VEDIC SIGN DOUBLE ANUSVARA ANTARGOMUKHA to Michel Suignard.

E.3 Proposal to encode the marca registrada sign (revised) [Silva, L2/17-066R]

[151-C13] Consensus: Accept U+1F16C RAISED MR SIGN for encoding in a future version of the standard, with properties as given in L2/17-066R.

[151-A60] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include U+1F16C RAISED MR SIGN

[151-A61] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add U+1F16C RAISED MR SIGN to the document requesting new additions.

Lunch 11:30 - 12:30.

E.2.3 Xiangqi game symbols [L2/17-161]

[151-C14] Consensus: Rescind acceptance of 30 Xiangqi game symbols at U+1F270..U+1F28D.

[151-A62] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to remove 30 Xiangqi game symbols at U+1F270..U+1F28D.

C.16.1 Informative document about three pre-Unicode-2.0 modern hangul syllables [Chung, L2/17-080]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.16.3 Preliminary Proposal for Encoding New Hangul characters [Oh, L2/17-125]
C.16.3.1 Comments on L2/17-125, “Preliminary Proposal for Encoding New Hangul characters” [Chung, L2/17-126
]

[151-A63] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Respond to proposer of L2/17-125 and relay the feedback from the script ad-hoc.

C.16.2 Proposal to add an informative note to U+3164 HANGUL FILLER [Chung, L2/17-081]

[151-A64] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Respond to author of L2/17-081.

C.3 Proposal to encode the Palaeohispanic script [Ferrer, et al, L2/17-129]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.7 Proposal to encode Iranian currency sign toman to the UCS [Rial, L2/17-060]

[151-A65] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Respond to submitter of L2/17-060, to resubmit with evidence of use as an actual symbol.

E.4 Proposal to incorporate the symbols of ISO/IEC 9995-7:2009 and its Amendment 1 and of ISO/IEC 9995-10:2013 into the UCS (see also L2/17-047) [EC35, L2/17-072]

[151-A66] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Relay the feedback from the script ad-hoc on L2/17-072 to Karl Pentzlin.

C.9 Proposal for the encoding of an Egyptological YOD [Suignard, L2/17-076]

[151-C15] Consensus: Accept six Latin characters with spiritus lenis for Egyptology and Ugaritic:

	U+A7BA LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH SPIRITUS LENIS
	U+A7BB LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH SPIRITUS LENIS
	U+A7BC LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH SPIRITUS LENIS
	U+A7BD LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH SPIRITUS LENIS
	U+A7BE LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH SPIRITUS LENIS
	U+A7BF LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH SPIRITUS LENIS

with properties as given in L2/17-076R2, for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[151-A67] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline to include six Latin characters with spiritus lenis. See document L2/17-076.

[151-A68] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add six Latin characters with spiritus lenis to the document requesting new additions. See document L2/17-076.

C.11 Proposal to add 6 standardized variation sequences for counting rods [Silva, L2/17-085]

[151-A69] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Relay the script ad-hoc feedback on L2/17-085 to the author.

C.13 Proposal to add Roman Numerals Alternate Number Fours [Silva, L2/17-092]

[151-A70] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Relay the script ad-hoc feedback on L2/17-092 to the author.

Short break.

B.12.1 UTR #25, Unicode Support for Mathematics [Sargent, Iancu, L2/17-165]

[151-C16] Consensus: Publish revision 15 of UTR #25 as amended in discussion.

[151-A71] Action Item for Murray Sargent, Laurențiu Iancu, Editorial Committee: Update UTR #25 and its data file.

[151-A72] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post the updated revision 15 of UTR #25.

D.6.1 Request to change glyphs of Kannada letters Vocalic L and Vocalic LL and their vowel signs [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-041]
D.6.2 Feedback and Response on L2/17-041: Request to change glyphs of Kannada letters Vocalic L and Vocalic LL and their vowel signs [Anderson, L2/17-127
]
D.6.3 On the glyph changes for Kannada Vowels Vocalic L/LL [Sharma, L2/17-160
]

[151-A73] Action Item for Michel Suignard: Modify the glyphs of U+0C8C and U+0C81 to look more like the dependent forms, for Unicode version 10.0.

[151-A74] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Get a modified font for Kannada, for Unicode 10.0.

D.4 Devanagari
D.4.1 Preliminary proposal to encode Devanagari letter numerals [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-010
]
D.4.1.1 Feedback on preliminary proposal for Devanagari letter numerals [Sharma, L2/17-040
]
D.4.2 Clarification on Devanagari letter numerals [Srinidhi, Sridatta, L2/17-116
]
D.4.2.1 On Devanagari letter numerals [Sharma, L2/17-159
]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

C.8.1 Suggestions on Hamza Al-Dani Quranic Marks proposition [Lazrek, L2/17-068]

[151-A75] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Respond to Azzadine Lazrek with the script ad-hoc feedback on L2/17-068.

C.8.2 Proposal to Encode Arabic Hamza Above Isolated Form [Esfabod, L2/17-149]

[151-A76] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Add L2/17-149 to the agenda for the next UTC meeting.

E.9 Preliminary proposal to encode Vexillology Symbols in Unicode [Pandey, L2/17-089]

[151-A77] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Relay UTC feedback to the author of L2/17-089.

E.8 Proposal to encode a Middle Asterisk [Pentzlin, L2/17-152]

[151-A78] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Reply to author of L2/17-152 that UTC declines to encode a middle asterisk.

E.5 Proposal to encode characters for Gongche Notation in SMP [Chan, et al, L2/17-087]

[151-A79] Action Item for John Jenkins: Add the seven Gongche characters in L2/17-087 with a "tiny slash downwards" to UAX #45.

[151-A80] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Respond to submitter of L2/17-087 with UTC disposition.

Short break.

C.5.7 Mongolian model [Hai]

Discussion.

C.5 Mongolian

[151-A81] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to proposers of all documents under agenda item C.5 for UTC #151 that the UTC is investigating the basic Mongolian encoding model and will defer action on specific requests until the model is better understood.

Meeting adjourned for the day at 4:45pm.


Thursday, May 11, 2017

Meeting opened at 9:30.

6 members represented: Adobe, Apple, Google, IBM, Netflix, UCB.

D.8 Tamil
D.8.1 Finalized proposal to encode Tamil fractions and symbols (with cover letter) [Tamil Nadu, L2/17-069
]
D.8.2 Comment on L2/17-069: Tamil fractions and symbols [Ganesan, L2/17-114]

[151-C17] Consensus: Rescind approval of 48 Tamil fractions and signs in the range U+11FC0..U+11FFF.

[151-C18] Consensus: Accept 51 Tamil fractions and signs in the range U+11FC0..U+11FFF as documented in L2/17-069, for encoding in a future version of the standard.

[151-A82] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Update the pipeline for the Tamil Supplement block. See L2/17-069 and above consensus 151-C18.

[151-A83] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Add Tamil fractions and signs to the document requesting new additions. See L2/17-069 and above consensus 151-C18.

[151-A84] Action Item for Shriramana Sharma: Provide an updated font for Tamil fractions and symbols to Michel Suignard.

[151-A85] Action Item for Laurențiu Iancu, Ken Whistler: Highlight new fractional numeric values when the Tamil fractions enter beta review. See L2/17-069.

[151-A86] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Respond to Gov't of Tamil Nadu about characters accepted during this meeting.

B.11.6 Issue 336: Proposed Update UAX #41, Common References for Unicode Standard Annexes

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.5 Issue 335: Proposed Update UAX #14, Unicode Line Breaking Algorithm
B.11.5.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-105
]
B.11.5.2 Document for review [Henninger, L2/17-136
]

[151-A87] Action Item for Andy Heninger: Investigate whether the "treat as" rules and requirements for ordering of rules need to be clarified in UAX #14, for Unicode version 11.0.

[151-A88] Action Item for Mark Davis, Laurențiu Iancu: Investigate whether the "treat as" rules and requirements for ordering of rules need to be clarified in UAX #29, for Unicode version 11.0.

[151-A89] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Rainer Perske's feedback on "Errors in LineBreakTest.txt" (April 2, 2017) that the test rules are correct; the authors of the UAX are going to investigate clarification of the text.

[151-A90] Action Item for Laurențiu Iancu: Investigate linebreaking properties of double diacritics, based on feedback from David Corbett on PRI #335 of April 29, 2017 22:48:11.

[151-A91] Action Item for Laurențiu Iancu: Review feedback from David Corbett on PRI #335 of April 29 and May 4, 2017, and make any recommendations for property changes.

[151-A92] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to David Corbett with disposition of his feedback on PRI #335. See above action items.

Short break.

B.14.7 Indic positional category of Javanese Cakra [Pournader, L2/17-163]

[151-A93] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Change the Indic positional category of U+A9BF JAVANESE CONSONANT SIGN CAKRA from Right to Bottom_and_Left in Unicode 10.0. This reflects a change to the Consensus 150-C1 based on feedback.

[151-A94] Action Item for Laurențiu Iancu, Markus Scherer: Add the new IPC category Bottom_and_Left, for Unicode 10.0.

B.14.8 Joining properties of Syriac letters used for writing Malayalam [Pournader, L2/17-164]

[151-A95] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Update the text of the core spec for Syriac Supplement block based on items 2 and 3 of L2/17-164 for version 11.0.

B.11.10 Issue 341: Proposed Update UAX #29, Unicode Text Segmentation B.11.10.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-105]

[151-A96] Action Item for Mark Davis, Laurențiu Iancu: Update paragraph "The base can be..." in UAX #29 based on PRI #341 input from Nick Wellnhofer (Mar 8, 2017) and discussion in the meeting, for Unicode 10.0.

[151-A97] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Nick Wellnhofer with disposition of feedback on PRI #341 (Mar 8, 2017).

B.14.4 Corrections to the Indic syllabic category for the Tai Tham script [L2/17-120]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

Lunch 11:30 - 12:45.

B.11.15 Issue 347: Proposed Update UTS #46, Unicode IDNA Compatibility Processing
B.11.15.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-105
]
B.11.15.2 Document for review [L2/17-145
]

[151-A98] Action Item for Mark Davis: Clarify the meaning and "default" values of the different flags used in unicode.org/reports/tr46/proposed.html#ToASCII and unicode.org/reports/tr46/proposed.html#ToUnicode for Unicode version 10.0.

E.1.3.1 Evil Eye Emoji [Sozen, L2/17-058]

[151-A99] Action Item for Peter Edberg, Mark Davis: Add the Nazar to the emoji candidates list. See L2/17-058.

On phone: Roozbeh Pournader, Anna Smylie, Jennifer 8. Lee, Ned Holbrook, Jeremy Burge.

E.1.3.2 Science Emoji proposal [Lemonick, et al, L2/17-113]

[151-A100] Action Item for Peter Edberg, Mark Davis: Add lab coat, test tube, microbe, petri dish, DNA, compass, abacus, fire extinguisher, and goggles to the emoji candidates list. See L2/17-113.

E.1.8 Planet Emoji Sequences [Swetz, et al, L2/17-100]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.1.6 Possible Emoji Representation for Natural Hair Colors, Features, and Styles [ESC/Burge, L2/17-082]

[151-A101] Action Item for Peter Edberg, Mark Davis: Add four new characters to the emoji candidates list (PERSON WITH RED HAIR, PERSON WITH WHITE HAIR, PERSON WITH CURLY HAIR, PERSON WITH BALD HEAD) and add 8 sequences to the candidates chart.

E.1.2 Request for greater transparency in the Emoji Subcommittee [West, L2/17-147]

[151-A102] Action Item for Peter Edberg: Take document L2/17-147 to the emoji subcommittee.

E.1.4 Gender-neutral human form emoji [ESC/Davis, L2/17-071]

[151-A103] Action Item for Mark Davis, Peter Edberg: Add a discussion about how to handle gender neutral forms with current mechanisms to the UTS #51 version 6 draft.

Short break.

B.11.15 Issue 347: Proposed Update UTS #46, Unicode IDNA Compatibility Processing
B.11.15.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-105
]
B.11.15.2 Document for review [L2/17-145
]

[151-A104] Action Item for Mark Davis, Markus Scherer: Make necessary fixes in the IDNA test file of UTS #46 for Unicode 10.0.

[151-A105] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Clean and prepare the text of UTS #46 per discussion, for publication with Unicode 10.0.

[151-A106] Action Item for Rick McGowan, Lisa Moore: Respond to Patrik F / IETF liaison re UTS #46.

[151-A107] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Publish UTS #46 for Unicode 10.0.

[151-A108] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #347.

B.11.17 Issue 350: Unicode 10.0.0 Beta

[151-A109] Action Item for Mark Davis: Investigate Charlotte Buff's feedback "Contradictory Statements in UAX #15" of April 29, 2017 (PRI #350) for Unicode version 11.0.

[151-A110] Action Item for Andrew Glass, Roozbeh Pournader, Peter Constable: Review PRI #350 feedback "InPC for Newa Vowels" from Richard Wordingham (April 30, 2017).

[151-A110a] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Review PRI #350 feedback from Marcel Schneider on Mende Kikakui for V11.

[151-A111] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Review PRI #350 feedback on Tifinagh from David Corbett and discuss with Tifinagh experts.

The UTC notes that the combining class value of 230 for U+08D9 ARABIC SMALL LOW NOON WITH KASRA is incorrect and should have been 220, as noted in Lorna Evans' feedback on PRI #350. However, the value of that property cannot be changed because of normalization stability requirements.

[151-A112] Action Item for Mark Davis: Add U+08D9 ARABIC SMALL LOW NOON WITH KASRA to the "status = restricted" character in UTS #39, if not already present, for version 11.0.

[151-A112a] Action Item for Rick Mcgowan: Respond to Lorna Evans regarding her feedback on U+08D9 ARABIC SMALL LOW NOON WITH KASRA.

[151-A113] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Review the PRI #350 feedback on N'ko diacritic usage for potential updates to the core spec. See feedback from David Corbett, May 3, 2017.

[151-A114] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Review the PRI #350 feedback on Tibetan from David Corbett for potential update to the core spec for Unicode version 11.0. See feedback from David Corbett, May 3, 2017.

[151-A115] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Fix the text in the core spec on Batak, based on feedback in PRI #350 from David Corbett (May 4, 4017), for Unicode version 11.0.

[151-A116] Action Item for Peter Constable: Investigate feedback on "Vagueness in Thai section" in PRI #350, for possible update to the core spec for Unicode 11.0.

[151-A117] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Fix the problems in Khmer section based on feedback in PRI #350 from David Corbett, May 4, 2017, for Unicode version 11.0.

[151-A118] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Laurențiu Iancu: Review feedback on sentence terminal punctuation in PRI #350 (David Corbett, May 4, 2017), for Unicode version 11.0.

[151-A119] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Give U+11301 GRANTHA SIGN CANDRABINDU the ScriptExtensions property of "Gran Taml", for Unicode version 10.0.

Short break.

B.11.9 Issue 340: Proposed Update UAX #9, Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm
B.11.9.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-105
]
B.11.9.2 Document for review [Davis, et al, L2/17-029
]

[151-A120] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Update the text of UAX #9 for version 10.0 based on feedback in PRI #340 from Ken Whistler, March 11, 2017.

B.11.4 Issue 334: Proposed Update UTS #39, Unicode Security Mechanisms
B.11.41.1 General feedback [L2/17-105
]
B.11.4.2 Document for review [Davis, L2/17-135
]

[151-A121] Action Item for Mark Davis: Look at data in feedback from S. Gilles (April 2, 2107) on UTS #39, PRI #334, and see if any changes can be made in Unicode version 10.0 or 11. 0.

[151-A122] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to S. Gilles re feedback on UTS #39, PRI #334.

[151-A123] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to John Colosi re feedback on PRI #334 confusables.

B.11.4.1.2 Proposal for v10.1 of UAX #39 [Davis, L2/17-166]

[151-A124] Action Item for Mark Davis: Change Capital Sigma to "ALL" in UTS #39 for Unicode version 10.0.

[151-A125] Action Item for Mark Davis: Describe the problem and the application of whole-script confusables in section 4.1 of UTS #39, for Unicode 10.0.

[151-A126] Action Item for Mark Davis, Editorial Committee: Immediately after Unicode 10.0, post a proposed update UTS #39 version 11.0 based on document L2-17/166 with a review note that the release, if sufficiently urgent, might be published as an accelerated version 10.1.

[151-A127] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post a PRI for proposed update UTS #39 after 10.0, to close July 24, 2017.

[151-A128] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #334.

[151-A129] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Prepare and post final UTS #39 for version 10.0.

B.11.10.1.4 Aksara Support in UAX #29 [Davis, L2/17-167]

[151-A130] Action Item for Mark Davis: Make the changes to UAX #29 as documented in L2/17-167 under "New" in a working draft of version 11.0 for review at the August 2017 UTC meeting.

B.9.2 Unicode release schedules [Davis, L2/17-155]

Long discussion.

Meeting adjourned for the day at 6:35pm.


Friday, May 12, 2017

Meeting opened at 9:34am.

6 members represented: Adobe, Apple, Google, IBM, Microsoft, Netflix, UCB

On Phone: Shawn Xu (Netflix), Ben Yang (Panlex), Richard Wordingham, Vinodh Rajan, William Overington

D.5 Proposal to Encode Lao Characters for Pali L2/17-106]

[151-A131] Action Item for Deborah Anderson: Review L2/17-106 (Pali/Lao) in the script ad-hoc meeting.

B.11.11 Issue 342: Proposed Update UAX #50, Unicode Vertical Text Layout
B.11.11.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-105
]
B.11.11.2 Document for review [Ishii, Iancu, L2/17-141]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.13 Issue 345: Proposed Update UAX #11, East Asian Width
B.11.13.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-105]
B.11.13.2 Document for review [L2/17-143]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

B.11.14 Issue 346: Proposed Update UAX #42, Unicode Character Database in XML Width
B.11.14.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-105
]
B.11.14.2 Document for review L2/17-144]

Discussion. UTC took no action at this time.

E.1.2 Request for greater transparency in the Emoji Subcommittee [West, L2/17-147]

[151-A132] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Respond to Andrew West on emoji process document, L2/17-147. Review with Mark Davis and Peter Edberg.

C.5.8 A minimum set of glyph corrections needed for the 10.0 beta Mongolian code chart [Hai, L2/17-170]

[151-A133] Action Item for Michel Suignard: Fix the three Mongolian code chart glyph errors based on document L2/17-170 for Unicode version 10.0.

B.13.3.3 Illegal UTF-8 [Scherer, L2/17-168]

[151-C19] Consensus: Modify the section on "Best Practices for Using FFFD" in section "3.9 Encoding Forms" of TUS per the recommendation in L2/17-168, for Unicode version 11.0.

[151-A134] Action Item for Markus Scherer, Editorial Committee: Update section 3.9 of the core spec for Unicode version 11.0, based on above consensus 151-C19.

Short break.

B.11.12 Issue 344: New Unicode Character Property EquivalentUnifiedIdeograph
B.11.12.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-105
]
B.11.12.2 Document for review [L2/17-142
]

[151-C20] Consensus: Approve a new character property EquivalentUnifiedIdeograph for Unicode version 11.0, based on data in Equivalent_Unified_Ideograph-draft3.txt in PRI #344.

[151-A135] Action Item for Ken Lunde: Create a draft Equivalent_Unified_Ideograph.txt file for Unicode version 11.0, including a value for @missing.

[151-A136] Action Item for Mark Davis, Markus Scherer, Laurențiu Iancu: Add the EquivalentUnifiedIdeograph property to PropertyAliases.txt for Unicode version 11.0.

[151-A137] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Update UAX #44 to document the property EquivalentUnifiedIdeograph for Unicode 11.0.

[151-A138] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Ken Lunde, Editorial Committee: Update the core spec discussion of CJK Radicals and Strokes to point to the EquivalentUnifiedIdeograph data, for Unicode version 11.0.

[151-A139] Action Item for Eric Muller: Add EquivalentUnifiedIdeograph to UAX #42 for Unicode version 11.0.

[151-A140] Action Item for John Jenkins: Add a reference to the new property EquivalentUnifiedIdeograph to UAX #38, and indicate that there are values for kRSUnicode and kTotalStrokes for characters that are not Unified Ideographs, for Unicode version 11.0.

[151-A141] Action Item for Mark Davis, Ken Lunde: Supply some text to Ken Whistler for UAX #44 and to John Jenkins for UAX #38 documenting the relationship between the fields in CJKRadicals.txt and the new property EquivalentUnifiedIdeograph for Unicode version 11.0.

[151-A142] Action Item for John Jenkins, Michel Suignard: Incorporate the data from Unihan_Derived-draft1.txt from PRI #344 into the Unihan database, for Unicode version 11.0.

[151-A143] Action Item for Mark Davis, Laurențiu Iancu: Add invariant tests for new property and property values from PRI #344.

[151-A144] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #344. Resolution is that the property will be added and documented in Unicode version 11.0.

B.11.18.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-105]

[151-A145] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to Christoph Päper's comment on L2/17-086 in general feedback (Apr 10 16:01:33, L2/17-105).

B.14.9 Proposed Indic syllabic category changes for Tai Tham for Unicode 10 [Pournader, L2/17-169]

[151-C21] Consensus: Change the Indic syllabic category for characters documented in L2/17-169 sections 1, 4, and 5. For U+1A5A change Consonant_Final to Consonant_Succeeding_Repha, for Unicode version 10.0.

[151-A146] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Make the ISC property changes for Unicode version 10.0 based on above consensus 151-C21.

[151-A147] Action Item for Richard Wordingham: Create a new document addressing the remaining issues for Tai Tham and Lao, for discussion at the next UTC meeting.

[151-A148] Action Item for Roozbeh Pournader: Propose a new property value of Consonant_Suffixed for Unicode version 11.0.

B.11.18.1.1 General feedback [L2/17-105]

[151-A149] Action Item for Mark Davis, Markus Scherer, Andy Heninger, Peter Edberg: Review the properties in UTS #18 "Full_Properties" to see which if any properties should be removed and/or segmented into another "RL" clause. Also review new properties "VO" and "RI", and consider all Unicode 10.0 properties.

[151-A150] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Respond to David Corbett regarding feedback in L2/17-105 (April 12, 2017) on SignWriting description.

Lunch 12:30 - 1:30pm.

B.11 Public Review Issues

[151-A151] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRIs for UAXes for Unicode version 10.0 - 329, 333, 335, 336, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, 345, 346.

[151-A152] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Close PRI #350, Unicode 10.0 beta.

[151-A153] Action Item for Ken Whistler: Do close-out processing for the Unicode 10.0 beta.

[151-A154] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Post all of the UAXes for Unicode 10.0. This includes UAX #15, #24, #34 which did not have PRIs.

B.13.3.2 Unicode 10.0 release

[151-C22] Consensus: Approve the release of Unicode version 10.0.

[151-A155] Action Item for Ken Whistler, Editorial Committee: Do the Unicode version 10.0 release.

B.9.2 Unicode release schedules [Davis, L2/17-155]

[151-C23] Consensus: The UTC plans to adjust the release schedule of the Unicode Standard to the beginning of March, starting with version 12.0, in 2019.

[151-A156] Action Item for Peter Edberg, Mark Davis, Emoji Subcommittee: Advertise that the ESC will be moving the submission deadline forward by approximately one quarter.

[151-A157] Action Item for Rick McGowan: Contact OMG to discuss that we may need to move the conference earlier in 2018.

Schedule UTC #155 for April 30 - May 4, 2018, hosted by Adobe, San Jose.

[151-A158] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Put overall release schedule adjustments on the agenda for August 2017 UTC meeting.

B.1.6 Review of document requesting new additions [Anderson, L2/17-061]

Discussion and review of document.

B.10 Unicode Localization Interoperability (ULI)
B.10.1 Liaison report [Loomis, L2/17-051]

Oral presentation by Steven Loomis.

[151-A159] Action Item for Lisa Moore: Add these items for the August 2017 UTC meeting: D.7, D.9.1, D.9.2, D.2, B.14.1, B.14.5, B.14.6, B.14.7, and Mongolian.

Thanks to the host.

Meeting adjourned for the week at 2:20pm.


UTC Attendance

Person Representing
Deborah Anderson U.C. Berkeley
Dragan Besevic Netflix
Tim Brandall Netflix
Lee Collins Netflix
Peter Constable Microsoft
Craig Cummings VMware, Inc.
Mark Davis Google
Alex DelPriore Panlex
Peter Edberg Apple
Liang Hai self
Paul Hunt Adobe
Laurențiu Iancu Microsoft
Gary Krug Panlex
Jennifer 8. Lee Emojination
Dongyuan Liu Apple
Steven Loomis IBM
Ken Lunde Adobe
Rick McGowan Unicode
Karan Misra Apple
Lisa Moore Unicode
Murray Sargent Microsoft
Markus Scherer Google
Alolita Sharma Paypal
Michel Suignard Unicode
Tex Texin Xencraft
Ken Whistler Unicode
Ben Yang Panlex
   
By Phone
Jeremy Burge Emojipedia
Michael Everson Evertype
Andrew Glass Microsoft
Ned Holbrook Apple
John Jenkins Apple
William Overington self
Roozbeh Pournader Google
Akaki Razmadze Georgia
Bob Richmond self
Judy Safran-Aasen Microsoft
Anna Smylie self
Zachary Swetz self
Richard Wordingham self
Shawn Xu Netflix
   

Members Represented

Full Member 5/08 5/09 5/10 5/11 5/12
1. Adobe Systems, Inc. yes yes yes yes yes
2. Apple, Inc. yes yes yes yes yes
3. Facebook          
4. Google, Inc. yes yes yes yes yes
5. Huawei          
6. IBM Corporation yes yes yes yes yes
7. Microsoft Corporation yes yes yes yes yes
8. Netflix yes yes   yes yes
9. Oracle America, Inc.          
10. SAP AG          
11. Sultanate of Oman, MARA          
12. Symantec          
           
Institutional Member          
1. Bangladesh, MSICT          
2. India, MIT          
3. Rajya Marathi Vikas Sanstha          
4. Tamil Nadu, TVA          
5. UCB yes yes yes yes yes
           
Supporting Member          
1. EmojiXpress          
2. Monotype Imaging Corp          
           
Associate Member          
1. Emojination yes yes      
2. Emojipedia yes     yes  
3. Panlex yes yes yes yes yes
           
Individual Member          
2. Craig Cummings yes yes yes yes yes
3. Jennifer Lee yes        
           

 

Members not in regular attendance: Bangladesh, Huawei, India, Rajya Marathi Vikas Sanstha, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Oracle, SAP, Symantec

Total full members in regular attendance: 7

Total institutional members in regular attendance: 1

Total supporting members in regular attendance: 2

Quorum: 5