Re: dbms'es and unicode support

From: Patrik Faltstrom (paf@bunyip.com)
Date: Sat Mar 23 1996 - 01:47:11 EST

At 17.42 96-03-22, unicode@Unicode.ORG wrote:
>In a more general sense, can someone give an overview of
>which DBMSs support unicode and how do they support unicode
>in their APIs?

We have in Whois++ since a couple of months been using the UTF-8
encoding on UNICODE (which is just like any 8-bit encoding scheme)
in both Oracle, Informix, mSQL and BerkeleyDB.

I.e. use UTF-8 strings and you will not have to force the DB to
support UNICODE 16bit characters directly.

For comparison reasons, do decomposition aswell before storing the
string by the way... Then searches will work much better...

   Patrik

   Bunyip Information Systems Inc. Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
   Internet: paf@bunyip.com Phone: +1-514-875-8611

   In theory, it's no difference between theory and practice,
   but in practice, it is.