Re: I18N Draft 4

From: François Yergeau (yergeau@alis.ca)
Date: Wed May 29 1996 - 10:57:35 EDT

> Date: 28 May 96 16:54:41 EDT
> From: Jonathan Rosenne <100320.1303@compuserve.com>
>
> >From the point of view of BIDI, the draft is much better. It is now very clear
> that it is absolutely compatible with the Unicode BIDI algorithm.

I'm glad you agree with the new language (mostly due to Martin). You
certainly made us aware of the necessity to clarify that.

> 1. IMG
>
> I don't understand the DIR attribute of IMG and why only the value rtl is
> allowed.

Despite the clumsy comment on IMG, the DTD is unambiguous that both values
of DIR are admissible everywhere DIR appears. On IMG, you can
consider that DIR applies when the ALT text is displayed.

> 2. I18n text
>
> The following items should allow international values, i.e the full character
> set:
>
> IMG ALT
>
> INPUT VALUE, NAME
>
> OPTION VALUE
>
> TEXTAREA NAME
>
> A NAME, HREF (#NAME)

All these are declared as CDATA, meaning character data (from the
document character set), meaning any 10646 chars. The case of #NAME
in HREF is a bit touchy, as this borders on URLs, which are not (yet)
internationalized.

--
Francois Yergeau <yergeau@alis.com>
Alis Technologies Inc., Montreal