Re: Re: Re: Re: Need help on Unicode Databases.

From: Jake Morrison (Jacob.Morrison@cdc.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 1996 - 05:41:59 EDT

> On 96.06.26 09:26, unicode@Unicode.ORG wrote:

>Jake:
>
>> Sorry, I don't have any good performace data for you. I was just passing on what I
heard
>> at the show.
>
>.... and I am very grateful.
>
>> I personally have been working more with Asian character sets in X.500. For us,
>> searching is the easy part. The search time is overshadowed by the time required ship
>> the data across the network and convert it to the client's local charcter set (Big-5,
>> etc.).
>
>Our situations sound similar. Our encoding matrix is currently simple,
>but we're moving to Unicode/UTF-8 since it won't be simple for long.
>
>Maybe you're right... maybe I shouldn't worry about a 30% hit on queries.
>
>> For us, going to Unicode on the server really simplified things. We just had to worry
>> about having good mapping tables on the client.
>
>Can you recommend a source?

>Did you write your own map-lookup function, or did you acquire one?
>I found one on the net once, but it seemed unnecessarily complex,
>so I assume we'll write our own. Is it as simple as it seems or
>am I in for suprises?
>
>Thanks much,
>Steve

Steve,

We are using code from the utf7 package by Ross Patterson
(rap@doc.ic.ac.uk) and Guo Jin (guojin@iss.nus.sg). This package
handles UTF-7, UTF-8, GB 2312 and Big-5 conversion. I got it from
ftp://ftp.ifcss.org/software/unix/convert.

To this we added other conversion tables extracted from cjkxref.txt,
found on the ftp.unicode.org site.

The uft package, also by Ross Patterson, has conversion tools and
mapping tables for ISO-2022 and ISO-8859-x.

ifcss.org is an excellent site for conversion tools on all platforms.

Regards,
Jake

--------
Jacob Morrison
Control Data Asia/Pacific Region E-mail: J.Morrison@twntpe.cdc.com
6/F, 131 Nanking East Road, Section 3 Voice: 886-2-715-2222 x217
Taipei, Taiwan R.O.C Fax: 886-2-712-9197