Re: Chinese

From: David Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Sat Aug 17 1996 - 16:26:51 EDT

>Why should the Chinese, a powerful and capable people, depend on
>foreigners to
>standardize a culturally important element of their language?

Ummm, why does anyone think this is what happened? As has been pointed
out several times in the past, Asian nationals were the primary
participants in the IRG, which developed the unified Han repertoire.

Unicode/ISO 10646 is the product of work by people from several different
countries, and China participated (as did Japan, Korea, and Vietnam).

If there is any evidence to the contrary, I'd like to hear it.

David Goldsmith
International Software Architect
Apple Computer, Inc.
goldsmith@apple.com