(no subject)

From: Michael Everson (EVERSON@IRLEARN.UCD.IE)
Date: Wed Jun 07 1995 - 06:40:47 EDT

On Wed, 7 Jun 95 02:20:25 -0700 Asmus Freytag said:

>In passing the absense of 3/4 of Unicode in the Mono 10646 font should
>be noted: no mention of Han or Hangul, not even in the list of
>partially, or not yet done blocks.

It is the stated intention to do all non-Han. I have stated before
that I intend to do Hangul. It's not on the list because I'm waiting for
the formal vote in Helsinki.

>Just to point out further there are other fonts that do a respectable
>job of partial coverage of Unicode: the LS_10646.TTf font that ships
>with Windows NT as a freebie covers practically all the sections
>Everson lists as (*) and a lot of the ones that he labels (-). And it
>is a single font to boot, and for Unicode software, no need to mess
>with mapping tables or offsets.

Fontographer off the shelf does export this subset of 10646. It contains
2147 characters; I've modified Fontographer to support 5720. It is my
intention to make large fonts, as software improves to support it, but
I also wanted to make glyphs available to the 8-bit world.

>One hopes that Everson can make good progress on those scripts that are
>not well covered by existing partial fonts, among his (-) listings were
>some usually under-served scripts, for which his font may well be the
>best source for any font for a while -- once these sections are done,
>that is.

Thanks, Asmus! As I say, lots of the outlines are done, and actually,
the administrative aspects of file compression and uploading, making
sure the ReadMe file has LFs not CRs in it for the Unix side (groan,
I didn't expect that!) seem to be taking even more time than cleaning
up the 12-point bitmaps!

Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta
15 Port Chaeimhghein I/ochtarach; Baile A/tha Cliath 2; E/ire*Ireland
Gutha/in: +353 1 478-2597, +353 1 283-9396 Facsa: +353 1 283-7778
27 Pa/irc an Fhe/ithlinn; Baile an Bho/thair; Co. A/tha Cliath; E/ire