Early-bird deadline fast approaching for Unicode Conference

From: Lisa Moore (lisam@VNET.IBM.COM)
Date: Tue Aug 08 1995 - 16:48:41 EDT

Hello Unicoders,

A reminder that the early-bird deadline of August 13 is nearly upon
us. To still qualify for the discounted rate, you need to get your
registration in. The conference agenda follows along with the earlier
e-mail information. Registration specifics are towards the end.

In addition to three tracks of presenters and two keynotes, we have
added another plenary speaker - Donald Knuth, Stanford Professor of
Computer Science.

Hope to see you in September,

Lisa

                      Thursday, September 14, 1995

+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| TIME | TRACK A | TRACK B | TRACK C |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 08:00 - 09:00 | Registration and Continental Breakfast |
+------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+
| 09:00 - 09:10 | Opening Address |
| | |
| | Lisa Moore, Chair, Conference Technical Review Board |
+------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+
| 09:10 - 09:40 | Keynote |
| | |
| | Kevin Cavanaugh, VP Lotus |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 09:40 - 10:20 | Role of Unicode | Using Unicode on | Future Allo- |
| | in Global MIS | the Internet | cations |
| | | | |
| | Douglas Val- | David Goldsmith | Becker |
| | Ziegler, Xerox | | |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 10:20 - 10:40 | Refreshment Break |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 10:40 - 11:20 | Unicode support | Unicode on the | Canadian |
| | for Teradata | WWW: Techincal | Aboriginal |
| | Databases | and Managerial | Syllabics |
| | | Issues | |
| | Andy Witkowski, | | Dirk Vermeulen, |
| | Gary Roberts, | Francois Yergeau | CASEC |
| | AT&T | | |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 11:20 - 12::00 | Unicode in Dis- | Unicode and the | ISO |
| | tributed Com- | WWW: Supporting | 10646-Unicode: |
| | puting | Unicode in HTTP | Continued Con- |
| | Environments | and HTML | vergence |
| | | | |
| | Mike McKenna, | Glenn Adams, | Mike Ksar, |
| | Sybase | Stonehand | Hewlett-Packard |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 12:00 - 01:30 | Luncheon |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 01:30 - 02:10 | Taligent Unicode | Unicode, Rich | How to Design |
| | Collation | Text, and Math- | Non-Latin Prob- |
| | | ematical For- | lems into your |
| | Mark Davis, | mulas | Product, Part I |
| | Taligent | | |
| | | Murray Sargent, | Richard Ishida, |
| | | Microsoft | Xerox |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 02:10 - 02:50 | Boundaries and | Layout Services | How to Design |
| | Segmentation for | for Complex-text | Non-Latin Prob- |
| | Characters and | Languages | lems into your |
| | Words | | Product, Part II |
| | | Israel Gidali, | |
| | Mark Davis, | IBM | Richard Ishida, |
| | Taligent | | Xerox |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 02:50 - 03:10 | Refreshment Break |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 03:10 - 03:50 | Using Locales | Unicode in | The Influence of |
| | with Unicode- | Stringly and | Unicode on the |
| | based Data | Weakly Typed | Win32 API |
| | Structures | Languages | |
| | | | Bill Hall, |
| | Mike McKenna, | Jim Brown, IBM | Novell |
| | Sybase | | |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 03:50 - 04:30 | Unicode | Interface Design | Non-Spacing |
| | Mapping Issues | in the Standard | Marks |
| | | C++ Library | |
| | Peter Edberg, | | Mark Davis, |
| | Apple | Nathan Myers, | Taligent |
| | | Rogue Wave Soft- | |
| | | ware | |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 04:30 - 05:00 | Experiences Getting Ready for Unicode |
| | |
| | Donald Knuth, Stanford University |
+------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+
| 05:00 - 08:00 | Reception and Exhibits |
+------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+

                       Friday, September 15, 1995

+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| TIME | TRACK A | TRACK B | TRACK C |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 08:00 - 09:00 | Registration and Continental Breakfast |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 09:00 - 09:40 | International- | International- | Text PRocessing |
| | ization of | ization of | in an Integrated |
| | OS/2(tm) | Banking Applica- | Bilingual |
| | | tions | Chinese Environ- |
| | Lisa Abbott, | | ment |
| | Steve Akin, IBM | David Thompson, | |
| | | Citicorp/TTI | Leo Liu, C.C. |
| | | | Hsu, C.P. Chang, |
| | | | IBM |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 09:40 - 10:20 | Unicode and | Moving towards | An Automatic |
| | International | Unicode | Translator |
| | Support in | | between Tradi- |
| | Copeland and | Anthony | tional and Sim- |
| | System 7 | Brickell, The | plified Chinese |
| | | British Library | in Unicode |
| | John McConnell, | | |
| | Apple | | S.H.Liu, |
| | | | C.C.Hsu, |
| | | | C.P.Chang, IBM |
| | | | Taiwan |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 10:20 - 10:40 | Refreshment Break |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 10:40 - 11:20 | Unicode Support | Globalized Lan- | Unicode Code |
| | in Microsoft | guage Learning: | Conversion for |
| | Windows(tm) | WinCALIS | Asian Code Sets |
| | | | |
| | Lori Hoerth, | Richard Kunst, | Tetsuji Orita, |
| | Microsoft | Duke University | IBM Japan |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 11:20 - 12:00 | Unicode and | Issues for | Multilingual API |
| | International | Implementing | for Internation- |
| | Support in | Natural Language | alization of |
| | Taligent | Processing | Network Services |
| | | Applications | |
| | Jack Grimes, | | Borka Jerman- |
| | Taligent | Leo YuHsian Liu, | Blaizic, Labora- |
| | | IBM | tory for Open |
| | | | Systems and Net- |
| | | | works, Jozef |
| | | | Stefan Insti- |
| | | | tute, Ljubjana, |
| | | | Slovenia |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 12:00 - 01:30 | Luncheon |
+------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+
| 01:30 - 02:00 | Keynote Presentation - China: The Information Tech- |
| | nology Industry Today and the Opportunities for |
| | Tomorrow |
| | |
| | George Wang, Director, China Research Lab, IBM |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 02:00 - 02:40 | A Multilingual | Writing Interna- | Unicode/CJK Font |
| | Windows Environ- | tional Apps for | Support in |
| | ment | Windows | PostScript |
| | | | |
| | Teow-Hin Ngair, | Lori Hoerth, | Ken Lunde, Adobe |
| | National Univer- | Microsoft | |
| | sity of | | |
| | Singapore | | |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 02:40 - 03:00 | Refreshment Break |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 03:00 - 03:40 | mf for Windows: | Writing Interna- | Font Selection |
| | Multilingual | tionalized Apps | and Font Compo- |
| | Facilities for | with Microsoft | sition for |
| | Windows in the | Visual C++(tm) | Unicode |
| | EU | and MFC | |
| | | | Martin Duerst |
| | Wolfgang Keber, | Avery Bishop, | |
| | DiaLOGIKa, | Microsoft | |
| | Germany | | |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 03:40 - 04:20 | Gamma's Interna- | Automatic | Typsetting |
| | tional Language | Replacement of | Unicode with |
| | Interface: a | Translated Text | Omega |
| | Case Study | and Resizing of | |
| | | GUI objects in | John Plaice, |
| | Dean Abramson, | OS/2 and Windows | Universite |
| | Gamma Pro- | | Laval, Quebec, |
| | duction, Inc. | Gregg Andrews | Canada |
+------------------+------------------+------------------+------------------+
| 04:20 - 04:50 | Closing Address - Unicode: Taking Root |
| | |
| | Asmus Freytag, Asmus, Inc. |
+------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+
| 04:50 - 05:30 | Q & A |
+------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+

                Seventh International Unicode Conference
                                 and
                  Multilingual Computing Exhibition

                 September 14-15, 1995, San Jose, CA

The Conference: "Software Globalization"
The Conference brings together leading technical experts on implementing
the Unicode Standard and ISO 10646 and on software globalization for major
operating systems. Speakers will address related subjects, such as usin
Unicode data on the Internet, international typography, and adaptation of
software to cultural parameters.

Discover how companies such as Microsoft, IBM, Sybase, Apple, Novell,
AT&T, Xerox and Lotus are using Unicode as a key enabling technology.
See products that implement the Unicode Standard at the Multilingual
Computing Exhibition.

To keep current with the rapidly evolving technologies of global software,
this Conference is essential!

Audience
--------
Managers, engineers, software developers, systems analysts, programmers and
product marketing personnel responsible for the development of software
supporting Unicode/ISO 10646 and also those involved in all aspects of the
globalization of software.

Program
-------
3 tracks packed with 45 presentations in these areas: databases, text
processing, scripts, implementation, compilers, operating systems,
internationalization, code sets and conversions, multilingual environments,
multiscript applications, fonts.

Keynote presentations by:

Kevin Cavanaugh, VP International Product Development, Lotus Dev Inc.
George Wang, Director, China Research Lab, IBM Corp

Plenary presentation by:

Donald Knuth, Professor, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA

Other presentations include those by:

Glenn Adams, Stonehand, Inc.
Joe Becker, Xerox Corp.
F. Avery Bishop, Microsoft Corp.
Mark Davis, Taligent, Inc.
Peter Edberg, Apple Computer, Inc.
Bill Hall, Novell, Inc.
Ken Lunde, Adobe Systems, Inc.
Mike McKenna, Sybase, Inc.
Teow-Hin Ngair, National University of Singapore
Douglas Val-Ziegler, Xerox Corp.

As well as papers by:

AT&T, Alis Technologies, Citicorp, DIaLOGIKa, Duke
University, Gamma Productions, Inc., Hewlett-Packard, IBM,
The British Library, Universite' Laval. and University of Zurich.

Exhibits
--------
Exhibits feature a general area for Multilingual Computing and
Internationalization related products as well as a special section
featuring Technology for Unicode.

Location
--------
Hyatt San Jose
1740 North First Street
San Jose, CA 95112-4584

Special Room Rates
------------------
Reserve your room before August 13 for the special Conference rate: US $85
single/$95 double. Call the Hyatt San Jose at (408) 993-1234,
or fax (408) 453-0259, and request the Unicode Conference special rate.

Discounted Travel
-----------------
For travel within the USA and Canada, American Airlines is the official
Conference carrier. For additional 5-10% discounts on travel between
September 11-18, 1995, call American Airlines Meeting Services Desk at
1-800-433-1790 and quote star file # S4295AB.

Attention Exhibitors!
---------------------
Space is still available. For further information contact -
  Barbara at:
  Tel: 604-983-9157 Fax: 604-983-9158 Email: conference@unicode.org or
  Seth at:
  Tel: 208-263-8178 Fax: 208-263-6310 Email: conference@multilingual.com

Registration
------------

Conference registration includes:
Full two days of sessions, continental breakfast and luncheon on both days,
refreshment breaks, all on-site conference materials, conference
proceedings, entry to exhibit area.

  Unicode Consortium member - $395
    includes employees of Corporate and Associate
    Member companies, and Individual Members
  Non-member -
    Prior to August 14 $450
    After August 14 $495
  Exhibit area only $ 25

  Student rate available upon request.

  To register now complete and return the following information:

  NAME: __________________________________________________

  AFFILIATION: __________________________________________________

  ADDRESS: __________________________________________________

  CITY/STATE: __________________________________________________

  ZIP: __________________________________________________

  TEL: __________________________ FAX: _________________

  E-MAIL: ___________________________________________________

  All rates quoted in US $.

         [ ] Unicode Member $395
         [ ] Non-member before August 14 $450
         [ ] Non-member after August 14 $495
         [ ] Exhibit area only $ 25

  Paid by:

  [ ] Visa [ ] Mastercard [ ] American Express [ ] Check

  Credit Card Number Expiration Date

  Name as it appears on card Signature

  Please make checks payable to Global Meeting Services Inc.

Send by the following methods:

  Mail:
  Unicode Conference
  c/o 3627 Princess Avenue
  N. Vancouver, BC, Canada V7N 2E4

  Fax: 604-983-9158

  E-mail: conference@unicode.org

CANCELLATION/SUBSTITUTION: Cancellations received and post-marked prior to
Sept. 1 will receive 80% refund to be mailed after the Conference.
Substitutions permitted to Sept. 13.

Conference management
The Seventh International Unicode Conference is held by Global Meeting
Services under licence from the Unicode Consortium. Unicode and the
Unicode logo are trademarks of Unicode, Inc. Used with permission. The
Multilingual Computing Exhibition is held by Multilingual Computing
Magazine and is managed by Global Meeting Services Inc.

For further information on the Conference or Exhibits contact Barbara at: