Re: Tibetan half digits

From: Dr. L. Rucker (lrucker@unixg.ubc.ca)
Date: Wed Oct 23 1996 - 16:52:48 EDT

>At 12:33 23/10/1996 -0700, Rick McGowan wrote:
>>Michael --
>>
>>The Tibetan half-numbers, from what I could gather speaking with the Tibetan
>>group who visited San Jose last year, have no "inherent" numerical value as
>>such. They represent subtracting 0.5 (or one-half) from the number in which
>>they appear as the last digit; as explained in the standard. Maybe that's
>not
>>clear enough.
>>
>>For example a string like:
>> digit-9 digit-8 halfdigit-3 (9, 8, /3)
>>
>>represents the number
>> nine hundred eighty two and five tenths
>>or
>> nine hundred eighty two point five
>

>Michael, this calls for 2 simultaneous things in a future version of ISO/IEC
>14651 (when ISO/IEC 10646-1 will be published to document these characters):
>
>1-by default, sort these like special characters, in order of course
>2-suggest in a non normative annex as an example documenting this, that
> prehandling be used to replace the last digit of a series by an in-between
> ˝ (1/2) character following the preceding digit, as Rick explains very well.
>
>Alain LaBonté
>
>cc UNICODE, Rick, SC22/WG20

Why is there need to accommodate this variant as a standard, except in terms
of subroutines for accurate input and output uniquely for those users who
wish to use them? I may be missing the point, but this seems to be a simple
numerical formatting issue for a specific and limited input group. The data
standard can remain unchanged and still allow for separate "numerical
translation" subroutines without disturbing that standard.

Lance Rucker

Lance M. Rucker, DDS
Director, Performance Simulation Laboratory
The University of British Columbia
2199 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, B.C. Canada V6T 1Z3

Tel: 604-822-4158 Fax: 604-822-3562