Re: Arabic Requirements

From: Jonathan Rosenne (100320.1303@compuserve.com)
Date: Sat Jan 11 1997 - 03:57:12 EST

I am holding a JTC1/SC2/WG2 document of September 1989, "Characters for the
Arabic Script in DP 10646". It contains the requirements for the various
shapes of the Arabic characters and the required ligatures. They are indeed
hand drawn. Its source is ECMA/TC1 Arabic TG and ASMO/TC8 Technical
Secretary.

The current argument on the Arabic ligatures appears very strange to me,
and culturally biased. The Unicode standard defines them as presentation
forms, and specifies their equivalence to their preferred encoding with
basic letters. Thus, they are clearly specified to be equivalent to a
sequence of basic characters, and anyone who can render Arabic correctly
should be able to render them without difficulty.

On the other hand, Unicode and 10646 contain hundreds of pre-composed
Latin, Cyrillic and Greek letters, equally superfluous, equally
decomposable, and this is acceptable because this is what our Western
colleagues are used to.

Jonathan