Re: Arabic Requirements

From: Terry Allen (tallen@fsc.fujitsu.com)
Date: Sat Jan 11 1997 - 13:49:56 EST

Jonathan Rosenne wrote:

| The current argument on the Arabic ligatures appears very strange to me,
| and culturally biased. The Unicode standard defines them as presentation
| forms, and specifies their equivalence to their preferred encoding with
| basic letters. Thus, they are clearly specified to be equivalent to a
| sequence of basic characters, and anyone who can render Arabic correctly
| should be able to render them without difficulty.
|
| On the other hand, Unicode and 10646 contain hundreds of pre-composed
| Latin, Cyrillic and Greek letters, equally superfluous, equally
| decomposable, and this is acceptable because this is what our Western
| colleagues are used to.

As I made no mention of precomposed letters in other alphabets, I
reject the ad hominem charge of cultural bias.

    Terry Allen Fujitsu Software Corp. tallen@fsc.fujitsu.com
"In going on with these experiments, how many pretty systems do we build,
 which we soon find outselves obliged to destroy?" - Benjamin Franklin
  A Davenport Group Sponsor: http://www.ora.com/davenport/index.html