Re: Arabic Requirements

From: Terry Allen (
Date: Sat Jan 11 1997 - 13:49:56 EST

Jonathan Rosenne wrote:
| The current argument on the Arabic ligatures appears very strange to me,
| and culturally biased. The Unicode standard defines them as presentation
| forms, and specifies their equivalence to their preferred encoding with
| basic letters. Thus, they are clearly specified to be equivalent to a
| sequence of basic characters, and anyone who can render Arabic correctly
| should be able to render them without difficulty.
| On the other hand, Unicode and 10646 contain hundreds of pre-composed
| Latin, Cyrillic and Greek letters, equally superfluous, equally
| decomposable, and this is acceptable because this is what our Western
| colleagues are used to.

As I made no mention of precomposed letters in other alphabets, I
reject the ad hominem charge of cultural bias.

    Terry Allen Fujitsu Software Corp.
"In going on with these experiments, how many pretty systems do we build,
 which we soon find outselves obliged to destroy?" - Benjamin Franklin
  A Davenport Group Sponsor: