Re: switching ISO 2022 <-> Unicode

From: Yung-Fong Tang (ftang@netscape.com)
Date: Fri Jan 17 1997 - 17:00:18 EST

unicode@Unicode.ORG wrote:

> ISO 2022 has a mechanism to change to other encoding schemes. It would be
> nice to have a certain control character in Unicode which do a similar thing.
> Comments?
>
> The very reason for this is the fact that some CJK encodings (e.g. CNS)
> can't be covered with Unicode, but Western languages are most easily
> implemented in Unicode.
>
> Werner
I have to say this is a good suggestion but not practicle.

Why ? Because ISO-2022 is a code switch mechanism. The think make it
work
is all the graphic codeset it could switch only use 0x20-0x7F and
0xA0-0xFF.
Since Unicode itself (ISO-10646) does not follow ISO-2022. It will be
difficult
to add Unicode into the ISO-2022 scheme.
From the other end, since Unicode is designed to UNIFY all the text into
ONE charset, adding such code switching mechamism into Unicode will also
hurt
the basic assumption of Unicode (which is already complex enough)

I know what you ask for.... I DO. I have some friend which use Chinese
character that is not encoded in unicode in his name......
Maybe the right thing to do is to add those Chinese characters into
Unicode....

--

Frank Tang Internationaliztion Engineer (415) 937-2913 Netscape Communication Corp about:ftang http://home.netscape.com/people/ftang mailto:ftang@netscape.com 685-1 E. Middlefield Rd Mountain View, CA 94043