Unicode browsers, fonts, and Java (was re:Tibetan...)

From: Glen C. Perkins (gperkins@netcom.com)
Date: Sat Jan 18 1997 - 18:28:46 EST

Maurice J Bauhahn <bauhahnm@river.it.gvsu.edu>:

> > Maurice, will you please write a paper with examples and submit it to WG2
> > and to the UTC for scrutiny? A paper in HTML format would be nice.
>
> I would love to do that, but have no idea how to incorporate Khmer script
> examples into HTML without a bunch of little giffs! Are there any working
> browsers which take advantage of the proposed RFC2070
> (Internationalization of the Hypertext Markup Language)?

Time for Microsoft and Netscape to step up to the plate.

Of course, the browsers won't do us much good unless we already have the
fonts installed, and it's unreasonable to assume that every PC, NC, and
PDA out there is going to contain a massive stockpile of comprehensive
unicode fonts. Portable font files, as portable as GIFs and containing
just the glyph info needed to render the specific chars in a specific
document, are at the top of my wish list for both HTML and Java. Deliver
the strings and the glyphs needed to render them as intended at the same
time. (This makes the user-definable areas particularly useful.)

I thought Adobe, Netscape, Apple, and Sun were committed to this when
the first three announced their portable HTML fonts initiative a year
ago and Sun hinted that they were looking forward to adopting the HTML
solution into Java. Since then, not only have I seen no products, but I
have a hard time finding anybody at any of those companies willing to
admit that there ever was such a project.

Sigh....

__Glen Perkins__