Re: FW: MS-Windows and Unicode Support

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 21 1997 - 19:16:38 EST

    Tang Yung-Fong> Is there any OS SUPPORT UNICODE VERY WELL ???? I don't
    Tang Yung-Fong> think so. ( Maybe Xerox Star station, Taligent, or
    Tang Yung-Fong> NextStep support Unicode very well, I don't know. I only
    Tang Yung-Fong> know UNIX/PC/MAC, neither one of these tree could be count
    Tang Yung-Fong> as an OS support Unicode VERY WELL. I am not asking anyone
    Tang Yung-Fong> to support Unicode better here. I just want to state the
    Tang Yung-Fong> reality.)

Hear! Hear!

Having suffered the agonies of the locale model and completely incompatible
internationalization across Unix platforms, we gave it up for lost and now
just depend on our own system.

I have gone on record with the prediction that we won't see reasonable (by
CRL's standards) globalization support for mainstream Unix systems for at
least another 5 years, if ever. I sincerely hope I am wrong about this, but
the current trends don't look very promising.

Linux is another matter altogether. I suspect something usable will be
available well before then.

I find it continually amazing that one person (me), working part-time, with
bits and pieces of stuff freely available on the Internet, in 6 months,
managed to put together something more sophisticated than most of the Unicode
support (at least on Unix boxes) I have seen to-date.

I really shouldn't rant about it. After all, I now have a career in this
field with few worries about job security :-)
mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu
Mark Leisher "A designer knows he has achieved perfection
Computing Research Lab not when there is nothing left to add, but
New Mexico State University when there is nothing left to take away."
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL -- Antoine de Saint-Exup'ery
Las Cruces, NM 88003