Tibetan stacks

From: Michael Forgey (forgey@sprintmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 22 1997 - 08:12:40 EST

I am trying to determine the set of commonly used Tibetan stacks, and am
wondering if anyone can offer some help. I've read John L. Mish's Tibetan
Grammar, 1954. He seems to indicate about 100 consonant stacks; i.e.,
stacks with no dependent vowels or other diacritics. A Tibetan character
set which I have worked with in the past has about the same number as well.
Is that a reasonable amount for commonly used consonant stacks?

Then, is there a simple (or not so simple) rule or guideline which
determines or states what possible diacritics and diacritic combinations
can exist on any given stack?

thanks,
mike
Michael Forgey