RE: articles relating to Unicode

From: Murray Sargent (murrays@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Jan 24 1997 - 21:04:29 EST

Nice articles. One type, though: he says in
http://www.mindspring.com/~asdunn1/1225surf.html (evidently re UTF-16)

"Unicode also has the capability to partially address a 31-bit code
space, known as the ISO 10646 standard, which is capable of representing
2.1 million characters, enough to encode virtually every written
character ever devised, including Mayan glyphs and Egyptian
hieroglyphics."

The "which" is a little ambiguous, but we know it must refer to
"Unicode" and not to "31-bit code space". Even so, Unicode's extended
address space via UTF-16 is 65536 + 1024*1024 = 1114112, which is a lot
but it's less than 2.1 million.

The thing I really like about the articles is that they explain Unicode
and its benefits in a way that's easy for a layperson to understand and
appreciate. It's possible that such discussion could be used in
marketing Unicode-based products. So far as I know, Microsoft marketing
hasn't advertised that Office 97 is based on Unicode, perhaps because
Unicode appears to be too hard to explain to the average customer.

Thanks
Murray