Re: Extension A

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Sun Jan 26 1997 - 02:36:26 EST

At 02:01 +0700 1997-01-26, Glenn Adams wrote:

>1. WG2 agreed in Singapore to proceed with Extension A in the BMP.
>Given the new roadmap for BMP usage, document N1499, also accepted by
>WG2, there is clearly sufficient room for both Extension A and other
>scripts/characters deemed to be reasonable targets for the BMP. These
>other scripts/characters include: Maldivian, Samaritan, Syriac, Phonecian,
>Old Aramaic, Tifinagh, Avestan, Sinhalese, Tibetan Extensions, Mongolian,
>Ethiopic, Cherokee, Canadian Syllabics, Ogham, Runic, Burmese, Khmer, Dai,
>Cham, Tai Lue, Tai Nuea, Lepcha, Limbu, 'Phags-Pa, Siddham, Meitei, Javanese,
>Batak, Buginese, Lisu, Karenni, Glagolitic, Braille, Kuoyu, and Yi. With
>all of these encoded including extension A, and including the Kang Xi,
>Ideograph, and Yi radicals added in this meeting, there will remain 271 free
>columns (a column being 16 cells) in the BMP. 271 * 16 = 4336 cells.

Now, this *is* news. If WG2 accepted the new roadmap (which I didn't know),
I myself will be able to lobby our Irish character set working group to
support encoding the VE in the BMP (cóip den teachtaireacht seo curtha
chuig WG6 mar eolas; féach go bhfuil Ogham glactha isteach sa BhMP).

HTML versions of the Roadmap are available at
http://www.indigo.ie/egt/standards/iso10646/bmp-roadmap.html

THanks for the good news, Glenn.

--
Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta
15 Port Chaeimhghein Íochtarach; Baile Átha Cliath 2; Éire (Ireland)