Re: Greek Byzantine Musical Notation

From: Glenn Adams (glenn@spyglass.com)
Date: Sun Jan 26 1997 - 01:44:44 EST

At 04:17 PM 1/25/97 -0800, Evangelos E. Melagrakis wrote:

>It seems that there is an obvious misunderstanding here, that leads to
>false information.

If the roadmap document on the Unicode page says this was rejected by
WG2, then it is incorrect and needs updating. [I haven't looked to verify
this either way as I have limited internet access from my current location.]

>The issue was not raised and was not discussed during the
>Canada and Singapore meetings of JTC1/SC2/WG2 simply because Greece had not
>done the homework requested by JTC1/SC2/WG2in time for these meetings,
>partly because we got no answer from the Unicode experts we tried to
>contact and mainly because of the time limits.

My understanding from the Unicode side is that we are waiting to see
what Greece submits to WG2 to provide further information on how these
characters would be employed in implementations. I am not aware of any
attempts to contact "Unicode experts" but I won't rule this out. I do
know that no action item is currently outstanding in the Unicode Technical
Committee for any work in this area.

>Unless someone wishes to reject the issue before it is actually discussed ...

As I said above, the UTC, like WG2, is waiting on additional feedback from
Greece as requested by WG2.

Regards,
Glenn Adams