Re: Simple C++ compiler test. How does yours fare?

From: Joe Ross (
Date: Mon Feb 03 1997 - 10:56:00 EST

unicode@Unicode.ORG wrote:
> I coded a very simple test of the level of support for
> wide character strings in a C/C++ compiler. Unfortunately
> it shows that there are still compilers out there that
> will have trouble even at the entry level of Unicode functionality.

There is nothing which states that the wchar_t encoding must be Unicode.
It is up to the implementation. However, I think that it makes sense,
and a Unicode wchar_t encoding is very useful for processes which must
execute in multiple locales.

Joe Ross
Tivoli Systems Internationalization                     (512)436-8863