RE: Unicameral

From: Kenneth Whistler (
Date: Mon Feb 03 1997 - 12:44:06 EST

Well, I hate to be pedantic... Uh, I guess that's not exactly true,

"unicameral" is the technically correct term, established in typography.

"Bicameral. A bicameral alphabet is two alphabets joined. The modern
Latin an example. It has an upper and a lower case, as
closely linked and yet as easy to distinguish as the Senate and the
House of Representatives. Unicameral alphabets (the Arabic, Hebrew,
and Devanagari alphabets, for example) have only one case."
        -- Robert Bringhurst, The Elements of Typographic Style, p. 288.


> I agree, Jonathan! It seems to me to be a highly inappropriate term.
> The American usage of "unicameral" means a government which has only one
> legislative body (as contrasted to "bicameral" government, such as the US
> Government, which has both the Congress and Senate).
> Ex: New Hampshire has a unicameral government.
> Clive
> ----------
> From: Jonathan Rosenne
> To: unicode
> Subject: Unicameral
> Date: Saturday, February 01, 1997 1:41AM
> Why do people use the word unicameral (which means of one room) for
> caseless?
> Jonathan

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:20:33 EDT