RE: Unicameral

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Feb 03 1997 - 12:44:06 EST

Well, I hate to be pedantic... Uh, I guess that's not exactly true,
but:

"unicameral" is the technically correct term, established in typography.

"Bicameral. A bicameral alphabet is two alphabets joined. The modern
Latin alphabet...is an example. It has an upper and a lower case, as
closely linked and yet as easy to distinguish as the Senate and the
House of Representatives. Unicameral alphabets (the Arabic, Hebrew,
and Devanagari alphabets, for example) have only one case."
        -- Robert Bringhurst, The Elements of Typographic Style, p. 288.

--Ken