Re: Simple C++ compiler test. How does yours fare?

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 03 1997 - 21:26:43 EST

    Doug> 2) wchar_t is 16 (or more) bits, but the compiler is taking the
    Doug> string as an 8 bit string and *then* promoting it to wchar_t. The
    Doug> high byte is lost in this arrangement, and it produces the exact
    Doug> same effect as problem 1.

Turns out wchar_t is now 16-bits in gcc 2.7.2. I donated a bunch of wchar_t
related patches for gcc/g++ a few years ago (version 1.<something> I believe),
but never found out if they were used or not. At least some wchar_t support
has been in gcc/g++ for quite a while but locale support was never stable or
consistent enough to take advantage of it.
mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu
Mark Leisher "A designer knows he has achieved perfection
Computing Research Lab not when there is nothing left to add, but
New Mexico State University when there is nothing left to take away."
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL -- Antoine de Saint-Exup'ery
Las Cruces, NM 88003