Re: regular expressions

From: Alain LaBont/e'/ (alb@riq.qc.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 06 1997 - 11:01:18 EST

At 10:19 97-02-06 -0500, Xiao-He Zhang wrote:

>Hi Alian,
>
>Please correct me if I'm wrong. Did you imply, by using your name
>as an example, that *no* locale changes the order of *any* Latin
>letter at level 1? I thought, (perhaps I imagined ;-), that Mark's
>fear was that somewhere there could be a locale which makes words
>sorted differently even at the first level.

I did not mean that. I meant that with ISO/IEC CD 14651, without changing
locales, you can do a rich series of operations with a single call to a
comparison function that is well designed, in line with a [GUIDE] SHARE
Europe (now GSE) requirement backed and enhanced by SHARE Inc. 7 or 8 years
ago (GSE is an observer member of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG20).

Alain LaBonté
Québec
>If in reality the answer to my question is "yes", then the locale
>issue is handled by "tailoring" at lower levels. Correct?

[alb]:
Tailoring can be done at all levels. It is done so that minimum tailoring
will be required to a huge (worldwide) table though, for local and
legitimate rightness of small details that would not change the big order...