Re: Rare Writing Directions

From: Mark Davis (mark_davis@taligent.com)
Date: Tue May 27 1997 - 13:30:18 EDT

1. This method is already described in the current standard. You can
order it either via information on unicode.org, or through amazon.com.

2. The purpose of the bidi algorithm was to have at least minimal
legibility of bidi plaintext in interchange.

Of particular difficulty is that modern Arabic and Hebrew freely mix in
numbers and other text (such as English) that goes left to right. It is
the mixed direction that makes the bidi algorithm necessary for
interchange, and in forcing us to add formatting characters.

With boustrophedon all of the text goes in a uniform direction (from
what I remember of my ancient Greek). (There are also character
rotations as well). The text is still legible if written all in the same
direction, so there would be no reason for any additional formatting
characters.

Mark