Re: RFC 1766 language tags

From: jenkins (
Date: Mon Jun 16 1997 - 16:09:32 EDT

On 6/16/97 11:01 AM Unicode Discussion ( wrote:

> Michael Everson <> wrote:
> >
> >At 23:53 +0200 1997-06-14, wrote:
> >>Imaginary or nonsense languages should be identified (IMHO) using
> >>an "x-" prefix - you may care about identifying which one of five
> >>imaginary languages you are using at any given moment (I'm VERY sure
> >>Tolkien would!), but nobody outside your book should have to worry.
> >
> >There are several books published in Klingon.
> That's interesting. Do the books use a romanized transcription, or do
> they use the pseudo-Tibetan letters I've seen in the movies to
> indicate the Klingon alphabet? I've always wondered if the movies just
> used random letters to set a "Klingon" tone, or went to the trouble of
> creating an alphabet.

There are actually two Klingon orthographies. The one is used by
Paramont for the movies and shows, and is more-or-less random elements
chosen because they look good. The Klingon Language Institute has a
systematic alphabet for Klingon, but I believe that most of their
materials are done in Latin transcription simply because there's no good
support for Klingon on major platforms.

John H. Jenkins