Re: Re[2]: ftp.unicode.org unavailable

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 19 1997 - 11:25:39 EDT

    Chris> This week attempts to access http://www.unicode.org have been
    Chris> giving me:

    Chris> " 400 Bad Syntax
    Chris> The request appears to be improperly formatted. User agent header
    Chris> is too long: Mozilla/3.0C-BRITLIB (Win16; I) via proxy gateway
    Chris> CERN-HTTPD/3.0 libwww/2.17
    Chris> "

    Chris> Our network people have not been able to resolve /offer explanation
    Chris> as yet.

    Chris> Any offers?

Four starting points for your networking people:

1. Most likely:

   The proxy is not handling the line separators in the header correctly
   (might even be changing them when it shouldn't).

2. Less likely:

   The www.unicode.org server is not producing valid line separators in the
   header.

3. Even less likely:

   One word: Win16!

4. Least likely:

   www.unicode.org has conceived an impossible dislike for your computer's IP
   address and is "poisoning" the data flow accordingly.
mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu
Mark Leisher "A designer knows he has achieved perfection
Computing Research Lab not when there is nothing left to add, but
New Mexico State University when there is nothing left to take away."
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL -- Antoine de Saint-Exup éry
Las Cruces, NM 88003