Re: New Draft ISO 8859-0

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 08 1997 - 12:13:02 EDT

> Now for the PLUS-MINUS sign: it is not perfectly ideal that we give it up
> in favour of the SPUTNIK-like CURRENCY SIGN, but it can use +- as a
> fallback.

This reminds me of what happened many years ago because of the 1-cell
difference between ASCII and British ISO 646, in which Pound Sterling sign
("Pound Sign") appears at 02/05, where "#" ("Number Sign") sits in ASCII.
To this day, most people refer to "#" as "Pound Sign" -- you can imagine
the reasons. In the future, I can easily imagine a new name for the Plus/
Minus sign: "Euro Sign". On the other hand, people who display Latin-0
on a Latin-1 device will still see Plus/Minus -- this does not bode well for
the new currency...

- Frank