Re: New Draft ISO 8859-0

From: Alain LaBont/e'/ SCT (alb@riq.qc.ca)
Date: Wed Jul 09 1997 - 22:35:11 EDT

A 12:13 08/07/97 EDT, Frank da Cruz a écrit :
>> Now for the PLUS-MINUS sign: it is not perfectly ideal that we give it up
>> in favour of the SPUTNIK-like CURRENCY SIGN, but it can use +- as a
>> fallback.
>>
>This reminds me of what happened many years ago because of the 1-cell
>difference between ASCII and British ISO 646, in which Pound Sterling sign
>("Pound Sign") appears at 02/05, where "#" ("Number Sign") sits in ASCII.
>To this day, most people refer to "#" as "Pound Sign" -- you can imagine
>the reasons. In the future, I can easily imagine a new name for the Plus/
>Minus sign: "Euro Sign". On the other hand, people who display Latin-0
>on a Latin-1 device will still see Plus/Minus -- this does not bode well for
>the new currency...

[Alain] :
Yeah, I know. But nowadays, we have tagging systems (I know, it's easy to
say, but they are nevertheless required). And it takes what it takes to
have the EURO SIGN in 8-bit technology, particularly for interchange
purposes (we need a standard code table, the Windows code page mod is not
sufficient, even if in closed-circuit things their decidon to encode it as
x80 will work, it was pragmatic, we have to agree with this -- talking with
the outside world, EBCDIC and UNIX systems, and Macs, is another story
which we had to fix).

You know, the 7-bit stripping of my messages is infinitely more
problematic. And QUOTED-UNREADABLE too... outside of the English-speaking
world we suffer when we want to speak our language with correspondents
which happen to be located in SMTP-dogma-bound (mainly
English-speaking-only) environments.

Alain LaBonté
Iraklion

1997-07-09
email to be sent at an undetermined moment