Sensible standards (was Re: Usage of CP1252 characters)

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 08 1997 - 13:05:46 EDT

    Frank> ISO 2022, 4873, and the Registry are incredibly well thought out,
    Frank> time tested, proven, stable, and sensible. Unicoders like to
    Frank> disparage them, but these standards and mechanisms have served us
    Frank> well for decades; their only shortcoming is the limited size of
    Frank> their repertoire and to some extent the complications of switching
    Frank> among different sets -- complications which are by no means
    Frank> insurmountable.

Amen! I am here to tell everyone that the complications are definitely not
insurmountable. I am still fixing ISO 2022 related bugs in a number of large
programs I wrote 7 years ago, and I expect the last of these bugs will be
found sometime in the next few months or so (which I have been claiming since
the first year after the software release). But, I will surmount the problems!

More seriously, am I alone in this situation? I don't think so.
mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu
Mark Leisher "A designer knows he has achieved perfection
Computing Research Lab not when there is nothing left to add, but
New Mexico State University when there is nothing left to take away."
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL -- Antoine de Saint-Exup éry
Las Cruces, NM 88003