Re: Latin00 (was Re: MES as an ISO standard?)

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 08 1997 - 15:15:39 EDT

> Although I feel pretty well informed about the various PC character sets
> and all the ISO standards in this field, I have *very* little practical
> knowledge about EBCDIC. Can anyone recommend me a good article or Web
> page about EBCDIC, its history, its design decisions, its technical
> properties, and what versions of EBCDIC exist? Just to know the
> historic aspects ...

C.E. MacKenzie, "Coded Character Sets, History and Development", IBM
Systems Programming Series, Addison-Wesley (1980). I hardly know what to
say about this book -- it contains an incredible amount of history and
detail related to the development of coded character sets in general and
ASCII & EBCDIC in particular, from the early Hollerith days to "mature
ASCII", and yet it contains not one word about accented or non-Roman
characters. Which goes to show how far we've come in "just" 17 years.

- Frank